• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PGC

Linear Algebra library

This topic is 4890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

Right. Now that that's out of the way ^_^, here's another thought: Maybe you'll be using some other third party libraries, for collision or physics, in your project. If you plan to, look at those libraries and see whether they use their own custom classes for these tasks. You probably don't want to convert between your own and and their classes ten thousand times per frame, so there might be some advantage to be gained there.

That would be a big mistake. It is good software practice keeping data dependency separate.
Say for example that after you done some work you find that you need to replace the third party collision engine because for example is not good enough at what it is suppose to do, or maybe you lost the license, or something as simple as a new update change the math library interface. You would be stuck in a big mess if you have a large project sitting on the math part of a library that was not suppose to be a math library on the first place.

Advertisement
Well, all those libraries have a strong dependency of BLAS and LAPACK, whose have been writen in Fortran.
The problem is how to deal with Fortran?, I just cannot use those libraries on my DevC++ with mingw. The same thing with Visual C++ 6.0 ; installing them is so tricky. How do you deal with?

In the web there are many instalation guides for installing Boost and libraries like BLAS and LAPACK ( with Cygwin of course), but still I'm stuck!! Sorry!, I don't drive linux very well, and using Cygwin is a trully hell!

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:

Right. Now that that's out of the way ^_^, here's another thought: Maybe you'll be using some other third party libraries, for collision or physics, in your project. If you plan to, look at those libraries and see whether they use their own custom classes for these tasks. You probably don't want to convert between your own and and their classes ten thousand times per frame, so there might be some advantage to be gained there.

That would be a big mistake. It is good software practice keeping data dependency separate.
Say for example that after you done some work you find that you need to replace the third party collision engine because for example is not good enough at what it is suppose to do, or maybe you lost the license, or something as simple as a new update change the math library interface. You would be stuck in a big mess if you have a large project sitting on the math part of a library that was not suppose to be a math library on the first place.

I can definitely see where you're coming from (but rather than data dependency, it's really third-party library dependency), but imho Vector class interfaces should be/are sufficiently consistent that you can apply automatic refactoring with minimal fuss. I'll agree on the count of it being a "bad software practice" though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!