Sign in to follow this  
-Fox-

maya "painting" multiple textures onto a single surface?

-Fox-    127
Hi. I have used maya for some time now, and I recently tried to create some game worlds. Doing soo, I faced the problem of having many textures onto a single surface (fading/drawing roads, grass and so on..) I would like to pretty much just "paint" it onto the surface, like using the 3d Paint tool, exept I didn`t suceed in painting textures with it. Is there any way to achive this? Thanks in advance.

Jarrod1937    522
if i understand you correctly you want to be able to paint directly on your meshes, right? if so then you should checkout deeppaint 3d (i belive that is what its called), they have a version for maya and 3ds max. it allows you to paint your textures directly onto your mesh using the tools from photoshop. checkout the compaines site, http://www.righthemisphere.com/

-Fox-    127
Quote:
Original post by Jarrod1937
if i understand you correctly you want to be able to paint directly on your meshes, right? if so then you should checkout deeppaint 3d (i belive that is what its called), they have a version for maya and 3ds max. it allows you to paint your textures directly onto your mesh using the tools from photoshop. checkout the compaines site, http://www.righthemisphere.com/

Ok, I will check it out.

What im looking for is not only being able to paint textures directly to the mesh, but being able to pain many different textures onto it.

I guess thats what that software is used for though :P

thanks alot for the tipp ^^

Oh, btw, I have been looking around for a *.x (directX) export-plugin, but havent found anything really, and I tried to use the one present in the DirectX SDK, though it dident save any data other then the mesh.

Does anyone have any good sugestions?

-Fox-    127
Quote:
Original post by Xipe
Seems like Google is an unknown to people around here. :)

First result on layered+textures+maya:

Introduction to Layered Textures in Maya 3D

I just read that guide, and it only layers textures. I want to be able to "paint" were I want a texture, and then paint another area or overcross the previous texture with another one.

Just like 3d Paint with different colors, exept there would be textures instead of colors.

Xipe    140
Not sure I still understand what you're after, but maybe what you're looking for is UV mapping. UV maps can overlay eachother over different areas (this is what you're after, right?).

Learning Maya probably has tutorials on that. Here are some stand-alone programs too. And Google is, as always, helpful in finding more stuff.

You should probably consider joining a Maya community forum if you're serious about the program though, that way you can get faster and better help through there.

Also look at tutorials for other programs (3DS/Lightwave/etc), I personally use Lightwave but all tutorials are applicable in actual theory, just that the toolsets differ a bit.

dmac    122
Dude painting the mesh never turns out all that well just select your ground plane
mesh you wish to paint planer-map it in "Y" (Default up) take a uv snapshot of it save as bmp,tga,jpg what ever format you wish to use import this to any paint app
do the Vinie Vango thing when your dun map this to your model.
the Dxsdk pipeline (August 2005)or(October 2005) exporter works fine for maya up to v6.5 7.0 is not supported yet if your a coder recompile 6.5 with 7.0s librarys there are bugs in doing that bud seems to work..

-Fox-    127
DeepPaint aint free, =/

And I spoke with a 3d-teacher at school about this, and learned how to snapshot the UV, just as Dmac sugested, and sofar, it works just fine.
Maya creates a PSD file, with layers, and then sortof imports it back (including layers), super sweet! ;)

Im just a bit worried about the texture size, when doing larger areas or levels.
I guess I would have to separate pices of the "ground mesh" and texture them separately or something.

dmac    122
Most say having just one texture/material per mesh is the fastest way to render using DX. You can cheat and use multiple textures/materials in hypershade then placing a texture node for each material. Map each to one to a group of faces
on your model making sure you also uvmap the faces "planer" map in "Y" for ground.
Take it a one more step select a group of faces you just mapped a texture to and
Edit polygons/Extract this will separate that group of faces making more then one mesh..I wood make your ground model in one chunk then map each part this way and then separate them. remembering to Name each part. then its up to the coder how best to load the model for fast rendering.

Just my two cents for what its worth..

Prankster    144
There's a similar tool in maya which does what deep paint does, the artisan/3d paint tool, you can create custom brush presets from textures, set various settings etc. You then access these from the visor window.

The process is the same in using both deep paint and the 3d paint tool, you have your mesh, which you need to layout your uv's for, this can be a simple planar map in maya, just so you have no overlapping uv's. You then paint on your mesh using different textured/coloured brushes, the result is saved as a texture for your diffuse channel.

joshlindeman    122
I think I know what you're talking about and have long dreamed of such a tool myself. If I understand you correctly I don't think Deep Paint is what you're after, though I could be wrong. You're looking for a tool that allows you to do multipass texturing by simply painting where you want the individual tiling bitmaps/shaders to be applied....something that would use specific UV sets that you create for each material, and would generate the alpha maps used to determine which bitmap is displayed on the mesh automaticaly according to your brushstrokes...?...is that sort of the idea? If you find anything that does that please post your results! :)