PIX with ATI plugin

Started by
8 comments, last by paulble 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi there, I'm having a hard time getting the ATI Plugin for M$ PIX to run. I have it set up and all, and it records info on frame render times and FPS alright, but all the other columns are always 0. I played around with DX retail and debug drivers and also tried all sorts of things with the debug levels, but I still don't get any more output. Any help much appreciated thanks, Robin
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by eisebs
Hi there,

I'm having a hard time getting the ATI Plugin for M$ PIX to run. I have it set up and all, and it records info on frame render times and FPS alright, but all the other columns are always 0.
I played around with DX retail and debug drivers and also tried all sorts of things with the debug levels, but I still don't get any more output.

Any help much appreciated

thanks,
Robin

What type of experiment are you configuring in PIX? The most basic capture types only record basic counters. Also, some columns (like duration) are not computed for all api calls. Can you describe a bit more about how you set things up, what columns your expecting to see, and what you are seeing?
You had a typo in there, it's actually the ATI Plugin for MS PIX.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Promit
You had a typo in there, it's actually the ATI Plugin for MS PIX.

Really? I thought he was just protesting Microsoft's oppresive business tactics and moneymaking schemes. I mean really...who can afford to license the DXSDK these days? And the cost of VS2005...sheesh!!!
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Lol.

"hey guys i really love directx its really cool btw M$ sucks death to capitalism"

Oh, fanboys and their unshakable logic ;)
_______________________________________________________________________Hoo-rah.
Ok, no more posts on "MS" vs "M$". I think you got the point across.

Quote:Original post by Drakex
Lol.

"hey guys i really love directx its really cool btw M$ sucks death to capitalism"

Okay, alright. I'm not cool and all. So I've got Microsoft PIX. Maybe DX is not the worst API in the world and yes, it's nice that it's free and no, I'm not a fanboy of any sort and yes, I prefer Windows to Linux.
Actually I didn't think too much about it and maybe the dollar character was a bit cheesy.

So paulble: I set up PIX the way ATI suggested it, with action type "Set Per-Frame Counters" and the following counters that I'd like to see:

Hardware Busy
Vertex Fetch Busy
Total Pixels
Pixels Passed Z Test
Frame Rate
Local Texture Memory used
AGP Texture Memory used
Prims per PSC change
Prims per VSC change
Prims per PS change
Prims per VS change
Prims per TS change
Prims per RS change

I get some results for FPS, memory and the prims counters, but for "Hardware Busy", "Vertex Fetch Busy" and the pixel counters I get no results.

thanks.
Have you definitely got the latest ATI drivers? I know I haven't on my system - I'm a bit sceptical of changing those too regularly these days [wink]

Quote:To use the ATI PIX plugin, you should have the latest drivers from ATI and the December 2004 DirectX SDK (or later) installed.

Bit obvious, but you also need to be running a D3D9 GPU - i.e. a Radeon 9500 and above.

Can't think of anything else right now.
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Have you definitely got the latest ATI drivers? I know I haven't on my system - I'm a bit sceptical of changing those too regularly these days [wink]

Yes, that's also one of the first things that I'd thought about. I downloaded the most recent driver just last week.
Quote:
Bit obvious, but you also need to be running a D3D9 GPU - i.e. a Radeon 9500 and above.

It's a X800GT. But thanks anyway. :)

Quote:Original post by eisebs
Quote:Original post by Drakex
Lol.

Okay, alright. I'm not cool and all. So I've got Microsoft PIX. Maybe DX is not the worst API in the world and yes, it's nice that it's free and no, I'm not a fanboy of any sort and yes, I prefer Windows to Linux.
Actually I didn't think too much about it and maybe the dollar character was a bit cheesy.

So paulble: I set up PIX the way ATI suggested it, with action type "Set Per-Frame Counters" and the following counters that I'd like to see:

Hardware Busy
Vertex Fetch Busy
Total Pixels
Pixels Passed Z Test
Frame Rate
Local Texture Memory used
AGP Texture Memory used
Prims per PSC change
Prims per VSC change
Prims per PS change
Prims per VS change
Prims per TS change
Prims per RS change

I get some results for FPS, memory and the prims counters, but for "Hardware Busy", "Vertex Fetch Busy" and the pixel counters I get no results.

thanks.

If you're getting values from some of the ATI counters but not others, I would think you need to speak with ATI. It might be possible that not all of their hardware supports all of their counters.

Paul

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement