Free diff compression tool/library?

Started by
3 comments, last by ciroknight 18 years, 4 months ago
Does anyone know of a free library or command-line utility that does diff compression? That is, it takes a base file and a changed file and produces a third file representing the changes required to turn the first into the second. Then, provided with the first file and the third one (that it produced), it can reproduce the second. Phew. Make sense? It would be great if I could find a library to do this in-memory in C#, but even a command-line tool would help a lot. ~BenDilts( void );
Advertisement
Eclipse has a built-in diff tool :P
Commandline? Err... diffutils??
I don't need a visual representation of the changes that have been made; I just need a file representing those changes. I also need the ability to diff-compress binary files.

~BenDilts( void );
There are both available, just google for them. The easiest way I've found for source files though is to just use GNU diff and pipe the output into tar->gzip. It gets the job done, it's a standard distributable file format, and there are plenty of scripts out there to help you along the way.

As for binary files, just google for it. You could write your own, but I don't recommend it simply because they're picky and require a good bit of debugging to get just right. But then again, I really don't recommend distributing binary differences; binaries barely dent your connection, even at 10-20megs. But, if you must, you must.

google is your friend :3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement