MMO server

Started by
17 comments, last by _winterdyne_ 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello. I don't want to use my home machine for servering the game. I am curious, where can I find windows based machines that I can use for my MMO servering, off course for some reasonable money. Or is there any free services for something like that? Thanx in advance.
Advertisement
No, you can't have free hosting.

Once you've made your MMOG, you will realise that hosting is such a tiny proportion of your costs that you won't care.

Mark
Yes I realize that.
But I'm making free MMOG, thats the problem.
Anyway I tought that there are no free services for something like that, but is there any cheap server hosting planes?
And how much do I need to pay for such service? I need 24h online windows servers, to run my server program...

Thanx markr for your reply...
You'll either have to pay for dedicated hosting or bribe one of your college friends with 10mbit lines to put a 24/7 box in their apartment. I don't think free boxes where you can run dedicated programs on are very common, and those that exist are most likely of the Linux variety.
--There is only one basic human right and that is the right to do as you damn well please, and with that right comes the only human duty; the duty to take the consequences.-- P.J. O'Rourke
A couple of options:

Shop your game around and see if anybody wants to sponsor you or donate a machine/bandwidth to you.

Google for "Colocation" and find a service that suits your needs and price range.
You can get a small dedicated server (which is what you would want for a starter at least) for around $100/month. For a nice enterprise node (3000+ people) you are probably looking at roughly $300/month. I have seen a dedicated server somewhere that runs at $45/month, but i wouldent recommend it. Big thing being a MMO you want to look at is RAM. You are definitly going to want everything in the cell preloaded, and everyone in it in ram or your going to have lag beyond belief. I would recommend with most engines , 256MB per 100-200 active players on the node, but this can very tremendously based on the engine requirements.
Quote:Original post by Xipe
Not unless words have meaning. I said that free boxes that allows the user to execute programs on and that run Windows most probably are rare and hard to find.

EDIT: Many replies at the same time here, maybe you weren't directing yourself to me.

Are you saying that windows running servers are rare?

EDIT: Yes I'm directing to you [smile]
Not unless words have meaning. I said that free boxes that allows the user to execute programs on and that run Windows most probably are rare and hard to find.

EDIT: Many replies at the same time here, maybe you weren't directing yourself to me.
--There is only one basic human right and that is the right to do as you damn well please, and with that right comes the only human duty; the duty to take the consequences.-- P.J. O'Rourke
Until it's large around 100 people, get an old crappy box, say a 450 mhz machiene with 128 MB of RAM. Put Linux on, and host your game server then. After you've made some cash of Ad's or something, get a real host. If you're connection is DSL, you should be able to do it fine. Cable or above would definately be good.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
You can get a small dedicated server (which is what you would want for a starter at least) for around $100/month. For a nice enterprise node (3000+ people) you are probably looking at roughly $300/month. I have seen a dedicated server somewhere that runs at $45/month, but i wouldent recommend it. Big thing being a MMO you want to look at is RAM. You are definitly going to want everything in the cell preloaded, and everyone in it in ram or your going to have lag beyond belief. I would recommend with most engines , 256MB per 100-200 active players on the node, but this can very tremendously based on the engine requirements.

I think that 256MB is fair enough for 1000 people in my game...
And what connection speed do I need for 1000 people server?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement