Applying Metalic/Robotic Effect To Voices

Started by
6 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi I have just recorded some voices for my current project, and they sound a bit dull. As its a science fiction based game, I wanted to add a more robotic or metalic sound to the voices, but I can't seem to do it. I am a total novice at this so it might be a simple solution. I have recorded the voices using Audacity, but the standard effect's are pretty lame, and the list of plug-ins is so long, I don't have the time to work through them all. Does anyone know of an application/plug-in I could use that would give me the desired effect? I can get my hands on some licenced software through work, so any applications you might know would be great! Thanks Spree
Advertisement
I think the effect you want is a vocoder, but I'm not sure how you'd use it in Audacity. Maybe you can look around and find something that suits your needs.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
If you can't get a vocoder (you'll need some sort of synth to act as a carrier signal for a vocoder too, which will add to the hassle, which it sounds like you don't want) then you could also try a ring modulator... which is essentially a very fast tremolo (sometimes called amplitude modulation). If you don't have a ring mod, try the tremolo with the 'speed' or 'frequency' setting set really high and it might get to ring modulation territory...

A vocoder can give you more varied results... but think more along the lines of the robot droids from the newer star wars film, a ring modulator will give more of a 'dalek' type sound. Obviously, it depends on the parameters though...
While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to add these metallic undertones to audio in PRO TOOLS?

Not sure if Pro Tools has a vocoder...
There is a free vocoder called Zerious Vocoder . A ring modulator will work OK, but it won't give you that same vocoder effect. Audacity has the ability to generate tones, so generate some static and use that as the carrier. If you have questions about how to work the vocoder, post back here or PM me, and I can run you through how a vocoder works.

Rain--there is a plugin for Pro Tools called Orange Vocoder. It is pretty pricey though, if I remember right--you might do better to just jury rig the one in Reason 3, or download the Zerious Vocoder from the link above. Good luck!
A vocoder was exactly what I wanted. I found a vocoder plug-in for an old copy of CoolEdit Pro I had a few years back and used that.

The sound isn't perfect, but hopefully it should do the trick. The voices are already sounding a lot more interesting.

Thanks for the help!
Spree
Quote:Original post by Blaise Douros
Rain--there is a plugin for Pro Tools called Orange Vocoder. It is pretty pricey though, if I remember right--you might do better to just jury rig the one in Reason 3, or download the Zerious Vocoder from the link above. Good luck!

Hmmm. Thank you VERY much my good man! I have project that will be greatly enhanced through this helpful tidbit.
I will try to use Zerious with ProTools.

Yeah also you can import the files in to fruity loops, and what I do for robot voices is put it through the flanger effect and VERY LAZILY (I feel bad for using one, but it sounds so nice) Use the preset effect `Vexed 5th` maybe vexed 7t, im across the world from my comp, but its one of those, and I use it on ym vocal samples. Sounds dang good for robot or aliens. PLay with the parameters some yeah.

its right to keep it tight!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement