My first game in VB.net

Started by
5 comments, last by Xpyder 18 years, 4 months ago
http://www.virtuich.net/~frisk/Pacman.zip <- Here It's my first game in GDI+. While making this game i realized how freaking weak and bad GDI+. It's so freaking slow that It's unbelieveable. I loaded every image in the memory optimized the painting methods as much as i could. Still it takes 10ms to update a 600x500 window. Well, Download and try!. I would love some feedback
Advertisement
Yeah thats really nice - very similar to the original with improvements such as speed increase etc.

There is an exception if the window is closed by alt + F4, which is the easiest way.

It would be nice to have more animation ( enemies face etc) and possibly make the AI more challenging (cut you off etc) but apart from that, very very nice.
Well done
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
Oh dear god i bought Special Forces today but im still playing that game :)
EDIT: Nevermind my error comment...it might help if I test on a system that has .NET installed ;) lol...
I'm trying to play but I keep getting this error after I click play on the splash screen... I have reinstalled DX but still no luck...

Quote:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
File name: "Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound"
at Pacman.GameEngine..ctor()
at Pacman.GameField..ctor() in C:\Documents and Settings\Frisker\Desktop\temp\Pacman\GameField.vb:line 138
at Pacman.Intro.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Documents and Settings\Frisker\Desktop\temp\Pacman\Intro.vb:line 148
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = C:\Documents and Settings\poissonj\Desktop\PacmanLOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : Pacman, Version=1.0.2156.42512, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===

LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: Host configuration file not found.
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound, Version=1.0.2902.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and Settings/poissonj/Desktop/Pacman/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and Settings/poissonj/Desktop/Pacman/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and Settings/poissonj/Desktop/Pacman/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Documents and Settings/poissonj/Desktop/Pacman/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound/Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound.EXE.

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Pacman
Assembly Version: 1.0.2156.42512
Win32 Version: 1.0.2156.42512
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/poissonj/Desktop/Pacman/Pacman.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 7.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 7.10.6001.4
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.
*** Why'd you run away? ****** Don't you like my... style***
If the game doesnt work it's probely cause u dont have .NET framwork, read the README! =). About the AI, my friends thinks it's way to hard and i think the surround you quite good, dunno how u feel about this?

EDIT: About the directsound problem, I fixed it know i forgot to put the reference in the game but if u redownload it they will be there. Sorry for that every1
Hmm, to be honest when playing the original pacman, the AI frequently stopped following you and blocked you off instead.

This may be slightly hard to implement, but it would be worth it.

It would be better even if you put less power dots in.

It's great as it is, the AI thing is really nit picking - if you want we can discuss it further on MSN?

jamespraveen@aol.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement