Visual Studio .NET 2003 or VS2005

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Considering money is absolutely no issue whatsoever, what are the big advantages of getting Visual Studio 2005 instead of .NET 2003?
Advertisement
If your a C++ developer then a more iso conformat compiler

If your a C# developer then the new .net sdk and much better integration when debugging programs written in vb.net/C#/C++

If your a web developer then much better deployment and development tools for asp.net

If you work with a team then you can use the new team collaboration tools

If you need a source code repository then you can play with their new vss replacement.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
A related question. How does the free edition of VS8 compare to the professional edition of VS71, as far as a C++ and C# game developer goes? Are *any* features lacking from the express edition that an average game developer would ever use?

Yeah I understand its a very openended and biased question, but I need to decide if the upgrade from VS71 to VS8 pro is worth the cost, or if express 8 will be everything i need.

I've seen the MSFT comparison chart - the "streamlined interface" vs. "full interface" is mostly where I'm worried.

One more thing - does VS 2005 have any native way to interface with subversion? vss is crap and any msft replacement is also crap until proven otherwise (guilty by association).
Why not install VC++/C# 2005 Express and try them? They will work side-by-side with VS 2003.

As far as I can tell, the streamlined interface in C# Express reorganizes and simplifies some of the dialog boxes (project creation, options), but doesn't disable anything major. With the options box there's a checkbox to show everything again.

Take a look at AnkhSVN for a VS Subversion plugin, although the FAQ seems to imply it does not work on 2005. Also, express editions are not supported. I personally use TortoiseSVN instead, which has integration at the Explorer level instead of VS level.

currently, to me the only downside of vs2005 is that intel c++ 9 doesn't plug into it as of now. that will be added in v9.1

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement