Sign in to follow this  
BeanDog

[.net] C# - C#2.0 (2005)... possible problems?

I have some 20,000 lines of C# code that I created with Visual Studio 2003. I'm considering purchasing Visual Studio 2005, but I'm worried that my program will no longer work. I know that C# 2.0 includes several new language features (big part of why I want to upgrade), but I want to know if my C# programs will no longer compile and run under VS2005. Does anyone know if anything in old C# will actually break in C# 2.0? ~BenDilts( void );

You program will compile fine if you set the compiler to use the .NET 1.1 framework.
A co-worker of mine recently converted a large project from 1.1 to 2.0 and had no major issues doing so (with the exception of multi-threading, since some things seem to have changed in that area).

I'd just try to install the free express version and see what you get before making the final decision.

I just cant wait till 3.0 comes out! It adds a lot of nice features, but your code should transfer O.K., may have to do a few minor changes. (mine did atleast)

There are some breaking changes (although that list does not seem authoritative; there was an enum breaking change not mentioned), but .NET 1.1 code should in general work fine under 2.0.

If I were you I'd simply upgrade. Compile errors are trivial to fix, and I suspect you'll have very little of those if any at all when compiling under VS 2005. I've had zero problems compiling/running my 1.1 apps under 2.0.

Update: Wow, beat so badly in just 5 minutes.