what game engine should I choose?

Started by
7 comments, last by Undeadlnsanity 18 years, 4 months ago
I think making a game engine is a time-costing job and reinventing things that exists. So, I decide to choose a game engine to complete my job. Which game engine should I choose then? I am a beginner, please help... [Edited by - michaelj on November 29, 2005 7:41:46 PM]
Advertisement
Depends what type of project you want to create.
|aaap.penopticon.com| My website, including game projects. Collaboration/comments are welcome, please visit :)
The Unreal Engine 3. Pricing doesn't seem to be publicly available, but the Unreal Engine 2 is available with a royalty free license for the low price of $US 750,000.

If that's out of your reach i've heard good things about the Torque engine, but haven't personally used it.

Otherwise, if you want free check out OGRE, Irrlicht, and Crystal Space. Also check out This page for a more complete list of engines available and reviews of them.

Since I don't know what type of game you're making (i'm assuming 3D), all I can say is that one of the engines above should work for you.
Depending on how much of a beginner you are, I would suggest you stay away from engines for a while. Are you very familiar with C++? Have you worked at least a little with OpenGL or DirectX? Have you completed any small to medium sized projects (pong, pacman, simple fps)?

I recommend you get to the point to which you can answer yes to these questions before hunting down an engine. I have only used OGRE and Irrlicht, and while I like the both, I much prefer OGRE (though it is a "rendering" engine, not a game engine).
Brien Smith-MartinezGarbage In, Games Out
It really depends how good at programming(C++) and software design you are. You must know software desgin in order to undertand other engine's architecture. I personally like and use Nebula Device 2 for my project, because of it's great architecture and extensability. But if you are a programming beginer that't pretty tough to use. Every engine is complicated in some way, if it provides many features. So just take your game design(it must be finished first), take your feature list, and then look for an engine that provides that, but nothing more. Keep it simple. For a complete list of engines, visit the Engine Database on www.devmaster.net
You might want to pop by garage games and take a look at the torque series of engines
One that suits your needs.

You will get a different opinion from virtually everyone on these boards. The only one who can answer that question really is yourself. You need to sit down and decide what you want then do some research to find out what will do what you want it to do.

It may be that your requirements will not be met by any existing systems. If that is the case, you can either write one, or use the nearest match and extend it.
Quote:Original post by OldDev
One that suits your needs.

And your abilities.

It's no good to just grab an engine off the shelf, and expect to be able to use it as a beginning C++ programmer. As some people said above, it really depends on your own skills. You might be best off just staying away from engines.
If you're only beginning, then there's no need and no point to dive in head first, grab an engine and go into game development. Learn ANSI C++ first (console programming (not games console programming, such as XBox 360)) and then move onto APIs that you may wish to use such as Win32, MFC, OpenGL and DirectX. Once you have an in-depth understanding of the above concepts you may then wish to develop a larger project which may require a game engine for many reasons.

Don't dive straight in, take things one step at a time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement