• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bikola_p

WMI

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, quick ques, after reading on the functions WMI can provide me, im really confused about if i need some SDK for this or if it is just standard features.

Advertisement
From MSDN:
Currently, WMI is included when you install Microsoft® Windows® 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me). For those running Windows 95 OSR 2, Windows 98 or Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0, a WMI installation package can be downloaded from Microsoft® MSDN® which offers similar functionality as WMI in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Me.

Note Only a user with administrator permissions can install the WMI component of the Platform SDK on Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP platforms.

WMI comprises a group of management technologies. Which aspect of WMI were you interested in? There's MSI (Microsoft Installer), SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol), ODBC, ADSI (both of which have better more robust interfaces than WMI) ...

WMI itself is COM-based. Any recent Visual Studio installation should have the necessary headers and interface definition (idl) files.

Robert

IF you are just looking to script simple Windows operations all the way up though Active Directory management no Visual Studio software is required. A simple text editor and knowledge of a scripting language (VBScript, javascript, PHP,etc) is all you will need. All though, a nice IDE does certainly help things, take a look at PSPad. It has syntax highlighting for at least 20 languages. Best of all, it's free.

If you are looking at using WMI or ADSI through C++ the Platform SDK has the required header files and libraries.

thanksfor that, i acctually have Vstudio 6.0, what i meant is can i call WMI functions with only V Studio, but i guess from the repllies, i can. Its just that i get alot of errors from compiler when i try to compile the simplest WMI sample code.

The first time I did any C++ WMI I had a heck of a time myself.
If the samples will not compile what errors do you get? Is it missing header files? Have you downloaded the Platform SDK and installed, changing VStudios search paths?

So basically, what i need to know is this.
WMI is a set of lib's and header files not available with Visual Studio 6.0, and to create the simplest of WMI app's i need the Platform SDK disc..
Is this correct?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!