• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ryt

beggining win programming

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i know a little abaut win prog, so i would like to learn more, is win prog today still with MFC? what is .NET? what book should i get, i heard from Charles Petzold is a good one, but it is from 98, is this too old?

Advertisement
MFC is still used, but mostly in older projects. Alternatives exist for non-Microsoft programming tools, and .Net is starting to take over for new projects. A fair number of people (myself included) find both MFC and .Net to add too much extra, unneeded "stuff" to their software, and have their own frameworks that talk to the Windows API directly.

.Net is a large framework of pre-written code that takes care of all manner of things, ranging from creating user interfaces to networking to managing hardware. It's designed on the same concept as MFC (making things much easier and simpler to do, since you don't have to do the work yourself) but it has a generally much better implementation. .Net also has some interesting technology like just-in-time compilation, which allows the actual code to be recompiled and optimized dynamically on the end-user's computer.

I would recommend getting the most recent resources you can, especially when dealing with C++, as the C++ specification was only made official in 1998. Anything before then probably has outdated or blatantly incorrect information. The Windows API has also been extended quite a bit since 1998, so a more up-to-date reference would be handy there, too. Naturally anything dealing with .Net would have to be fairly recent as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!