• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Daishim

OpenGL Ortho mode and Depth

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been digging for days to try to find an answer to my problem and have come up with nothing. What I'm trying to do is render a screen sized quad in orthographic mode at a certain depth which is greater than 1 to perform certain effects on the image. So here is my OpenGL/Glut setup code:
glutInit(argc, argv);
glutInitWindowSize(Width, Height);
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DEPTH);
glutCreateWindow(argv[0]);
glutDisplayFunc(Display);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); 

/* Enable a single OpenGL light. */
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_DIFFUSE, LightDiffuse);
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPosition);
glEnable(GL_LIGHT0);

However, when I try to render anything in orthographic mode beyond 1 on the z-axis it is clipped out. Here is my render code:
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

glOrtho(0, 1280, 0, 1024, -1.0, 100.0);

glLoadIdentity();

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[1]);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
	glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f(-1.0f,-1.0f, 1.0f);		// Bottom Left

glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f);
	glVertex3f( 1.0f,-1.0f, 1.0f);		// Bottom Right

glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); 
	glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f);	        // Top Right

glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); 
	glVertex3f(-1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f);		// Top Left
glEnd();

glutSwapBuffers();

So, for example, with this code, if I were to change glVertex3f(X, Y, 1.0f) to glVertex(X, Y, 3.0f), the quad will no longer be displayed.

Advertisement
You have glLoadIdentity right after glOrtho, restoring any changes made by glOrtho. And you should, unless you have a very good reason not to, always put the projection matrix in, that's right, the projection matrix stack, and object/viewpoint transforms goes into the modelview matrix.

In the display function.

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(...)

glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();

edit: Oh, and your quad will probably only show up as a single pixel in the bottom left corner. That's because the viewport ranges from [0, 1280] in X and [0, 1024] in Y, but the quad you're drawing only ranges from [-1, 1] in X and Y. That's a very small quad in the lower left corner.

I implemented the matrix setup like you said Brother Bob, and that will eliminate some headaches with keeping track of coordinates, however, it did not help the depth/z-axis issue any. If I render beyond 1.0 on the z-axis, it is clipped.

The problem is the way the Z-axis is pointing and what the near and far clip planes parameters really mean. The near/far value is the distance to the near/far clip plane, and the Z-axis is pointing out from the screen. That means, near=10 means the distance from the viewpoint to the near clip plane is 10 units. But it's 10 units INTO the screen, where the negative Z is pointing, so the near plane is actually located at Z=-10. Negative distances are used to specify a clip plane "behind" the viewpoint.

Anyways, this means your Z-range is currently [1, -100], 1 being nearest and -100 furtherst, and therefore Z=3 is outside the viewport. You must negate the values you really want, to describe it in a simple way.

Ok, duh. I knew that... it was a long day. Ok, so now rendering past -1 (world space) or 1 (clip space) now works. Now my ultimate accomplishment with this implementation is to manipulate depth values of texels via a fragment program. Now that my orthographic projection is working correctly, I re-implemented the Cg fragment program. This question is probably a little out of place for this forum, but I'll throw it out there since it is an extension of my original question.

So, I have a very simple fragment program that I want to use to manipulate depth values of texels. It is a Cg program as follows:

struct frag_out
{
float4 Color : COLOR;
float Depth : DEPTH;
};

frag_out main(sampler2D inTex: TEXTURE0, in float2 InTexCoord: TEXCOORD0)
{
frag_out OutFrag;

OutFrag.Color = tex2D(inTex, InTexCoord);
OutFrag.Depth = 1.0;

return OutFrag;
}

If I set the depth from [0 to 1) the fragments are rendered appropriately. However, if the depth is set outside that range [0, 1), the fragments are not rendered. I'm using the latest fragment profile available on the card I'm working on, which is fp30.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!