• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
derek7

render to texture

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

why render to texture ? the texture is just image the same as backbuffer. the key : it will be map to geometry and THEN make many effect?? Do I guess right?

Advertisement
Rendering to a texture is usually for effects. I mean, rendering to textures you could create dynamic mirrors (render to texture, then map that texture to geometry and bam, it looks like a mirror), you could do other things too. My mind isn't really with me right now. Long day at work. But they are pretty handy given the right circumstances.

There are lots of things:
For example you can render the scene to a texture, then apply that texture to an irregular shaped quad. Something like seen in Samuari Jack.

http://www.goldenlands.com/cartoon%20network/samurai_jack/opcs/full%20size/samurai_jack_limited.jpg

Rendering to texture gives you the advantage of at runtime being able to manipulat e the scene that has just been presented such as creating a realistic reflection effect. Some of the render to texture techniques used are reflection of a scene in water, blurring/distortion of the already rendered scene. The HDR demo's found in the stickies also use the render to texture technique to create a bloom effect.

There are so many applications for Render to Texture and it's really one of the graphics developers best tools.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!