• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ghost leinad

making games for cell phones

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

please, tell me how do I start??? the complilers...a GUI...the basics :D but, please tell me about a cell phone that uses C#.net as platform :P thanks in advance! take care!

Advertisement
Firstly check out the FAQ it will give you lots of useful tips.

I recommend J2ME to start with unless you specifically need to use C++.

Good luck!

There aren't any cell phones that support the .NET Chip yet to the best of my knowledge (outside of PocketPC smart phones). There are some good articles on J2ME on this very site, so go take a look.

Doesn't Windows Mobile 2005 support .NET Compact Framework? Because I've already seen a few of those phones out there.

To the OP: I can see why you'd want to stay with a platform you're familiar with, but limiting yourself to C# has two major disadvantages when it comes to cellphones:
* Windows smartphones are not cheap.
* Most phones don't (and won't for a while) support .NET.

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by shmoove
Doesn't Windows Mobile 2005 support .NET Compact Framework? Because I've already seen a few of those phones out there.

To the OP: I can see why you'd want to stay with a platform you're familiar with, but limiting yourself to C# has two major disadvantages when it comes to cellphones:
* Windows smartphones are not cheap.
* Most phones don't (and won't for a while) support .NET.

shmoove

MIDlets aren't supported by smartphones natively.

IBM and a few other companies have a JVM that runs on the devices, but they are incredibly slow even on the 600+ MHz devices, and don't handle MIDP very well.

Also, all the JVM softwares I'm aware of for them are payware (just a few dollars).

Smartphones really need C++ or C# and the .net compact framework.

frob.

Quote:
Original post by frob
MIDlets aren't supported by smartphones natively.

AFAIK the Windows Mobile 2005 phones will have MIDP 2.0 support by default. I've only had my hands on one of these phones and the JVM performed beautifully.

And Symbian devices are also smartphones, right? They've had MIDP out of the box support for quite a while (since Symbian 6.1 if I'm not mistaken).

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!