• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kaisel

Video games and Toys

This topic is 5102 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not very good with expressing ideas through words usually, and the idea I have is something that I haven't really heard of before, but I'm going to give it a shot. When I was young and all, I'd play with toys, action figures and the likes, but usually I never had them as their own character, I usually had them stand in for a character of my own, which I guess looking back is a tad silly. And of course my friends and I would build worlds and stories for these characters based just on what was lying around. Now, my idea, or question is could this style of play be turned into a game? I know there are a lot of games where a person can be the dungeon master, or create a module or world for their friends, or to upload to the net, and I guess the idea is similiar, but, I guess the game I imagine would be something for storytellers primarily. I guess I have two questions: 1.) Is it possible to translate that "playing with toys" mentality, of creating a world/plot/characters with your imagination into a video game? 2.) Would it be fun? Or would the "game" have to include dialogue editors, cinema creators and the like? Feel free to say the idea is stupid, it's just a random idea I've had, wonder if there's any real merit to it.

Advertisement
First of all, it M U S T be a multiplayer game. Playing alone with real toys might be fun, but with virtual toys, it would just be lame. You want the player to create his own world, right? Then he would have to write his own dialoge. There is no point in working hard and typing the dialoge if no one is going to read it.

So here is my idea about the gameplay. First, a player creates a server, and places all figures, items, buildings ect. Everyone have controll about everything. Any player can give orders to any character, move every object, ect. Maybe a player can chose a personal character, that only he can controll, but this should be limited to one or two. Also, each player can click on a character and write a line for it, or say the line in a microphone, so the other players can hear it.

The game should have a simple item creator and character creator, and it sould also enable to import items and characters made in real modellers.

There will be no goal to this game. It will be a special chat.

How about The Sims? Isn't that basically the same as playing with video dolls?

I also imagine that "video toys" would be much more popular with younger kids (when was the last time you picked up a doll - erm, action figure - and played with it?). An example of this would be those barbie dress-up videogames. My niece loves playing those.

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by shmoove
I also imagine that "video toys" would be much more popular with younger kids (when was the last time you picked up a doll - erm, action figure - and played with it?).

D&D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!