pondering post-2nd schooling plans....

Started by
2 comments, last by willthiswork89 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm 17 years old, 18 in a month, and I'm going to graduate early in 13 days with a 3.2-3.5 GPA and a 22 on my ACT. I can't draw. I have no experience programming. I have no experience modeling with 3D programs. I'm a procrastinator. But, I aspire to have a career as game dev/disgner. I determined that it's probably smarter to get a degree in Computer Science, then go to a school like FullSail afterwards. I'm going to take a 6 month break before I start school in fall of 2006. I haven't decided on a college. I plan on trying to learn some programming languages, and hopefully studying and getting an A+ Certification. I'll also independently learn/study how to model using programs like Maya and 3D Studio Max. Then it's time for college. My girlfriend pressures me into trying to go to the best public school I can get into out of state. And working hard to get a 26-30 ACT score. Since I can get a 3,000 dollar a year hope scholarship with the 22 ACT, I'm thinking about just going to a local college for a CS degree. It wont be top rated, but it'd be decent, paid for, and have a good CS program hopefully. After that, I'd make my way to FullSail probably with a loan. After all that, and independent projects and team projects, how impressive would I be for career offers? Should I work for the best public college? Is it stupid for me to do/want this with no programming and modeling experience what so ever? I mean, I’ll have 6 months to look at language and modeling books, tuts. I guess if I suck I can always do something else in whatever college I plan to attend to. I think the rout I want to go is smart enough. I'm probably most searching for people telling me a success story. Are there any of you out there who couldn't model, program or draw if their life depended on it? Then gained skills through independent study, college, and or game dev programs?
Advertisement
Well, im not near your age and ive been programming for about 6 months, and so far ive accomplished a ton, including a full fledged program that over 300 people use to this day. Im 16 and starting a new MMORPG with a buddy of mine.. so i mean six months is alot, if your girlfriend doesnt mine long nights of you being on the computer, studying in everywhich way that interests you. then definently go for it. but you have to be motivated. motivation is the hardest thing to get from most and luckily i love cramming knowledge into this brain. i may have a 2.0 GPA but i sure know what im talking about :lol: anywaysi hope you choose the right thing. try learning c++ if you can get it then everyother language is a breeze. if its not your cup of tea, you still have plenty of time to figure out your next move. Good luck
Quote:Original post by willthiswork89
Well, im not near your age and ive been programming for about 6 months, and so far ive accomplished a ton, including a full fledged program that over 300 people use to this day. Im 16 and starting a new MMORPG with a buddy of mine.. so i mean six months is alot, if your girlfriend doesnt mine long nights of you being on the computer, studying in everywhich way that interests you. then definently go for it. but you have to be motivated. motivation is the hardest thing to get from most and luckily i love cramming knowledge into this brain. i may have a 2.0 GPA but i sure know what im talking about :lol: anywaysi hope you choose the right thing. try learning c++ if you can get it then everyother language is a breeze. if its not your cup of tea, you still have plenty of time to figure out your next move. Good luck

thanks. yeah, 6 month IS a lot of time. how would you describe yourself pre-learning? is their a certain trait to know if you're cut out for picking up c++/other languages and modeling? like i said i'm not an good drawer, so i doubt my ability sometimes.
i just always wanted to learn programming, i never was into making models and such...so i just knew thats what i wanted to do, i asked a buddy and he said start with C++, i loved games and i liked the programming scene so i got the book Beginning c++ game programming by michael dawson, it tought me the basics of c++ then i went on to sdl and now direct x..hey i have an idea...if you have aim, IM me at willthiswork89 and ill send you some stuff. if you dont like it then try modeling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement