• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tig_rig

Doom style maze game- help please.

This topic is 5095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to learn to program a doom style game. The playability and visual appearance does not have to be to todays standard. It will be my first programming effort in 22 years. I have access to visual studio and would like to get a grasp of c++ but i am torn in which direction to go. Do I get a basic engine and disect it and add my own stuff, or do I start from fresh. Please remember I am only looking to achieve a doom1 style finish. I am trying to keep my expectations low as I know I will still have a moutnain of stuff to learn to achieve doom1 standards. I do not want to waste the winter learning the wrong product. I have been a product designer and manufacturer for the last 20 years working in aerospace and using Catia and Pro Engineer so I am familiar with 3D construction. My interests are moving to robotics and I want to be able to drive a robot from data fed to the computer from outside sensors. Initially I would like to understand how to program a maze or corridor game to get me started. Do I start with C++ or is there an interim way in which I can be dropped in to c++. Would I be as well using Torque or Gmax or similar. Please help - I do not know which way to turn and I want to start(on the right foot) ASAP.

Advertisement
No definite answers, but here are a few thoughts. First, if you're interested in getting somewhere quickly, it might actually be *easier* to do something *more* sophisticated than Doom 1. The reason is that Doom 1 and similar games used raycasting methods that you would largely have to code from scratch, whereas with a fully 3d world you'd be able to take advantage of a graphics API (DirectX, OpenGL) which would do a lot of the work for you. Of course, you could still impose horizontal and vertical constraints on the surfaces for the purpose of simplifying collision detection and AI if you wished.

As for choice of language, I'm not sure what the best choice is. If there's going to be a learning curve for the language as well, though, that's another argument for taking advantage of what a graphics API can offer you, as even with that advantage there will be plenty of ground to cover in making an engine.

Using a 3rd-party engine such as Torque is yet another story. There will still be a lot of work to do, but such an engine can take on a lot of the effort for you and move you toward a working product much more quickly. It sort of depends on whether your priority is a finished product, or learning about the process of making an engine.

If for some reason you're intent on actually writing a software raycaster from scratch, the source code for both the early Doom and Marathon games are available online. I would think that digging through the source for these might be a bit of a chore though. I've also seen some good raycasting tutorials online, but I can't remember where.

I don't know if any of this will be of any help to you, but these are the things that came to mind as I read your post.

The source code for a number of 3d maze games is available here - DOOM, Duke Nukem, Quake 1, Quake 2, Wolfenstein 3d. Of those I would recommend Quake 2 as it will be much more compatible with the latest versions of Windows. The code style is kind of funky though. Oh and it's in C not C++.

Also maybe check out WinDoom 2.001

Thank you jyk and lessbread, I will look at the help you have given.

If raytracing is old hat and not what is used today then I am wondering if I should try and use one of the graphics suggestions from JYK.
I used to model with surfaces in the early nineties and then when solid modelling packages became the norm I only use surfaces for export to machining packages.
Would I still use a map for my environment or could I draw all the walls on my surface modeller and export them in IGES to the package that applies materials.
I say Package because I dont know which product I will use for this.

So if I use surfaces for my scenery what would be the best software to learn for my character movement collision detection and a non standard user input device.

non standard input is like, brain activity monitors n shiet! lol.
ok just being a dick, later.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!