• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FReY

S.E.T.H

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

S.E.T.H (Special Extra Terrestrial Hunter) is a little robot. He shoots aliens and tries to avoid their flaming wreckages. I wrote this game in less than 4 weeks (closer to 3 weeks actually) for a November game making competition. This is as completed as it's going to get. To get the game and view screenshots. http://www.justinpaver.zskilz.com/default.php?section=3 Comments and criticism are most welcome :)

Advertisement
Nice work for 4 weeks I like the particles they look like fireworks the graphics are very well done what did you draw them with? The only thing that seemed strange was when you shoot, it seems like your shooting one line and it makes it very easy to play other that that concept is very good and the game is fun. Did you win the competition?

Quote:

Nice work for 4 weeks I like the particles they look like fireworks the graphics are very well done what did you draw them with?

Thank you! Well I drew all the textures with photoshop. The ground texture is a heavily modified version of one of the quake3 textures (I think so, I can't really remember where I got it from - it's one I grabbed from somewhere 3 years ago). The landscape is procedural and is drawn in a single triangle strip (as is the grass)

The particles are also procedural. I use no memory for each individual particle. I just build the particles up every frame using the standard physics equations s = ut+0.5at^2 and using a pseudo random number generator and a per-batch seed to make sure the particle initial properties (speed, direction, life etc...) are always the same :)

The animations are all bone animations (no sprite animation) that I created using a little custom editor that I built into the game. The positioning/aiming of the arms is done using a 2 joint IK solver. I want to use the IK to make his feet not penetrate the ground eventually.

Quote:

The only thing that seemed strange was when you shoot, it seems like your shooting one line and it makes it very easy to play other that that concept is very good and the game is fun.

Thanks for the compliment! The rifle weapon has very dense fire (that's what makes it easy to kill enemies), the pistols however have much faster projectiles and so are not as easy to kill enemies with.

Quote:
Did you win the competition?

I actually don't know... we'll probably find out next week or so...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!