• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Taha Ansari

Rendering unpredictable with Inno3D GeForce4

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had Inno3D GeForce4 installed as primary display. I have my own UI which is responsible for all inputs and specialized graphical rendering etc. With GeForce4, I was constantly getting improper display like some times fonts were not being rendered at all, instead, boxes were appearing in their rectangular areas (I use D3DXFont for this); while at times, cursor for UI that I was loading from file, was rendered opaque even around the area that was stored with the color key specified (while loading), so the color key area was supposed to be rendered transparent. Also, I use render to texture a lot, like, I'm constantly animating a texture. The latest stuff gets drawn on top (wrt x,y) of texture, and the whole texture is 'moving' from top to bottom. The texture then is always drawn using D3DXSprite interface (I have first version of DX9 SDK). I dont see anything wrong with the rendering code, yet the display was unpredictable. As a test, Inno3D GeForce4 was was swapped with the built-in display (Intel 82865G Graphic adapter), and the result was perfectly as desired. I had spent quite a lot of time before coming to this conclusion, but I dont understand why GeForce4 is behaving like this. Initially I thought it was due to texture memory issues, but games run on different VGA cards with out any problem. Can any one help me with why is this happening? I will really appretiate it. Thank you for your time..

Advertisement
Sorry for interrupting again, but if any one can tell me why my custom application runs properly on some card, and doesnt work with other, I will really appreatiate it.

Games by professionals are made to run on almost all category of VGA cards; do they have some special design consideration for their games? Can some one help? I wish I could state more but my self don't know why this is happening.

Thank you once again for your times..

Are you sure you're using the most updated drivers for your Geforce card? Also, make sure you're using the Debug Runtime. Do you get any errors in the debug spew?

Try running your application with the Reference Rasterizer. If it works fine on that, then it's probably a driver problem. Some drivers are more forgiving than others when it comes to specifying parameters in D3D.

neneboricua

I was away from internet this time so couldn't read your post..

I think its the 1st thing I'll do: search for the latest GeForce driver for my card.. And about the Debug Runtime that can be set from Control Panel: On one PC, I am able to see DirectX icon in control panel, while the other PC that has GeForce does not have the same DirectX icon in Control Panel. Both PCs have got sdk installed, I tried to solve this long time ago but dont know how to enable directX icon if its not visible..have you encountered some thing similar? Can you help?

Forgive me for being very naive, but I dont know how to enable Reference Rasterizer..is it done while initializing d3d?

Until I get your reply I will look into both these problems, i.e. driver and ref. rasterizer.

You have given me an edge so as to look into this matter more deeply.

Until I hear further from you,

Thank you for your time.

[EDIT: I understand now about Ref. Rasterizer: it was D3DDEVTYPE_REF parameter in CreateDevice function if I understood properly..yet to try it though]

Can you switch the cards in the PC's? It would be very beneficial to have the Debug Runtime installed because it can give you many clues as to what is wrong with the application.

neneboricua

Yes, I think that can be tried.. I will let you know when that gets done... and a quick feedback: I tried running with software rasterization on Geforce4 PC, and the application simply refuses to create device with D3DDEVTYPE_REF. I tried different combinations like D3DDEVTYPE_REF with hardware vertex processing, software vertex processing, but app. is unable to create device. However, I am quite able to create device on the built-in card PC in REF mode.

I originally had the impression that if all else fails, app. always creates device with REF.. I guess I learned something new [smile]

I just learned some thing new: I contacted a couple of friends who use GeForce based cards, and a couple of friends who do not, and I have come to know the following:

All PCs that have geforce4 family cards installed on their PCs do not display the directX icon in control panel, where as all PCs that do not have Geforce 4, having either built-ins or ATI radeon types installed display the directX icon in control panel.

And one more thing, I dont feel like writing this as you are being a lot of help to me, but the person who is using the Geforce4 PC cannot afford to hand over his GeForce4 to me at the moment. Maybe I will be able to get it in a little while, I will try..

In this duration, if something else clicks, then please do share it with me..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!