• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ChurchSkiz

First game, your thoughts?

This topic is 4861 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My first game to reimmerse me in the magical world of C++. It was done in GDI using a modified shell from Windows Game Programming for dummies. If anyone wants to give me any thoughts on the game itself or the source code I'd appreciate it. In the future I'm sure my code will be a lot cleaner, I did everything in the main game loop for this one cause I wanted to get it done as soon as possible. http://geocities.com/adamskiz/Programming/Bounce.zip

Advertisement
It looks pretty good, well done!

One thing I would recommend is adding WS_CAPTION | WS_SYSMENU to your window style, so that your window has a close button - I spent a while trying to figure out how to close the program.

Your code is clean and readible which is always good practice. Don't use iostream.h in your code, use iostream (without the .h extension) as it's newer. Also, the ball is moving way too fast on my system. I would've also used more funcions that you for things like checking if the ball had been hit or not. It's not a bad effort for a first try though, good job.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by ChurchSkiz
My first game to reimmerse me in the magical world of C++. It was done in GDI using a modified shell from Windows Game Programming for dummies. If anyone wants to give me any thoughts on the game itself or the source code I'd appreciate it. In the future I'm sure my code will be a lot cleaner, I did everything in the main game loop for this one cause I wanted to get it done as soon as possible.

http://geocities.com/adamskiz/Programming/Bounce.zip

Nice game. I like it.

Some things to improve on:
- Ball speed... No offence, but it kind of gets annoying when the ball is so fast and you cant hit it since a message box pops up every time. This is just a suggestion, but maybe later you can add in-game text for the score, so players can focus on more playing rather than clicking 'ok' [grin].
- Nothing else

It's a really good time. Especially for a first time. Good luck with your future games!

C++

Cool stuff. I like it a lot. If the purpose of this was just to reacquaint yourself with C++, perhaps you might expand on this by adding sound effects or using two balls that bounce off each other. Also, as the Anonymous person mentioned, text for the score might be better than interrupting the play with messageboxes. Let us know when the next game is done!

looks great!
The only problem that I was that it was wayy too fast on my system athlon64 3500+. I would suggest you use a time delta to modify how much you move the ball per frame.

keep up the good work

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!