Built in Windows compression libraries?

Started by
2 comments, last by rmsimpson 18 years, 4 months ago
Has anybody used the built in compression library for Windows, Lz32.lib, for anything? I've had a look at it and it seems adequate, but I'm a little wary of the 16 open file limit. I've also had a quick peak at ZLib, but if the WIN32 version works fine, why bother with another library?
Advertisement
To answer your second question first, ZLib is popular because it runs on lots of platforms, can create standard ZIP-files, comes with source code, and has a strong user community supporting it.

To answer your first question second, no I haven't tried the built-in Windows libraries, mainly because the advantages I mentioned above are so compelling that I never bothered.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Keep on Zlib it has my favorite library license btw
------ XYE - A new edition of the classic Kye
I've used both ZLIB and the Microsoft CAB SDK, and both work great.

Robert

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement