• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gumpy

cross-platform gui?

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm looking to learn a cross-platform gui. the only 3 i can think of at the moment are FLTK, GTK+, and wxWidgets. i was wondering if there's any others besides these, and if anyone has experiences and info they'd like to share with me. i have no idea which one to learn yet. the only requirements i can think of are that it must work with windows and linux(X11), must support opengl, and must have a friendly license that doesn't require me to release my source(or pay!). [Edited by - gumpy macdrunken on December 1, 2005 3:14:10 PM]

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by gumpy macdrunken
i'm looking to learn a cross-platform gui. the only 3 i can think of at the moment are FLTK, GTK+, and wxWidgets. i was wondering if there's any others besides these, and if anyone has experiences and info they'd like to share with me. i have no idea which one to learn yet. the only requirements i can think of are that it must work with windows and linux(X11), must support opengl, and must have a friendly license that doesn't require me to release my source(or pay!).

SDL, the Simple DirectMedia Layer will meet much of that. You'll need to provide some of the user interface, but if you're developing in OpenGL, you'll need to render your own user interface anyway.

frob.

i'm looking to learn a gui, not build my own. thanks anyway, though.

edit: i should mention this isn't purely for opengl apps, but tools and other apps.

I would say wxwidgets is great enough for c++, but it has a serious disadvantage and it is its size it means like 5MB more of size for your distribution.

SDL has already-made GUI libraries I think ParaGUI is decent

How about Qt from Trolltech ?

I tried version 4 and found it very impressive. And there is an open source license, but also commercial once if you like.

I've recently switched to wxWidgets from Win32, and it's pretty damn good. It's definately programmed using the C++ OOP paradigm and I find it very easy to use. A big step up from crappy old C Win32. Unless your making a game GUI, forget this "roll your own GUI in ***" stuff, that's such a waste of time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!