Virtual Aquarium Screensaver - give it a try!

Started by
11 comments, last by spiralmonkey 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I'm looking for people to test-drive my virtual aquarium. I posted this before and got a lot of really positive response. The infrastructure has changed quite a bit since then, so i'd like for people to give it a shot - and it now supports multi-monitor displays, but i haven't had many beta-testers. it's fully-functioning and doesn't expire. Here's a still: you can download it at www.dreamaquarium.com/download.html the new version can run in directX or openGL modes, and is more system-friendly than the previous version i posted. I've also made it really easy to report problems via "Report an Error" in the start menu, and also from the screensaver itself. Please, if you experience any problems LET ME KNOW! As many of you know it's really hard to fix problems you don't know about. thank you, and enjoy! alan [Edited by - spiralmonkey on December 2, 2005 2:16:17 AM]
Alan Kapler, Developer of Dream Aquarium www.dreamaquarium.comhref=http://www.spiralmonkey.com>www.spiralmonkey.com
Advertisement
Looks really nice! Good option screen and all, feels solid.

I had a problem with it though, it crashed my computer and had some visual artifacts now and then. Happens to me in some other games as well (Settlers V for example) when I've run some programs before, so that may well be just my system.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Multi-monitor does not work for me. Fish tank shows up in widescreen on the secondary monitor(top and bottom are a flashing green). On the primary monitor, there are fish only (mirrored from secondary monitor) - no tank, background is widescreen blue with pink flashing bars at top and bottom.

I tried changing monitor resolutions, turning off one of the monitors, and other settings via the controls in display properties. None of these changes seemed to be applied when I ran the fish tank.

Altogether though, it looks promising.

System:
Intel P4 3.2 Ghz on Intel Perl Motherboard
1 GB ram
ATI X800 pro
two monitors - one at 1024x768, other at 1280x1024 - both LCD Viewsonics.
WinXP
Installed DirectX 9.0c
Sorry, i should have pointed out that with multi-monitors, it does create the second tank as just blue (the blue tank has far less geometry). This has caused some confusion so i just posted an update that puts full aquariums on all monitors. Currently i only have the one single-width aquarium to choose from so it'll appear on both monitors. You can change fish individually on each tank though. With dual monitors, turn on the menu (ENTER) and move your mouse over to whichever monitor you wish to change. The menu will follow the mouse, jumping from screen to screen.

Steven, i also fixed that problem with the flashing border. I saw it too when i use the debug version of directx. It's fixed in the new version. please let me know if it works.

Remember, if it ever crashes please run "Report an Error" (Start menu) IMMEDIATELY afterwards. This will ftp the run log to me and allow me to figure out where the crash happened. Obviously i've still got some fixes to do, and your feedback is invaluable.

thanks all!
-alan
Alan Kapler, Developer of Dream Aquarium www.dreamaquarium.comhref=http://www.spiralmonkey.com>www.spiralmonkey.com
I haven't tested it that much yet, but it looks really good and it works so far.

P4 3.0 GHz
512 MB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 256 MB
Win XP
How come my reply to this was deleted????

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize there was another thread on this.
How cruel: a big 'Mac OSX' link, and then...'Sorry! Dream Aquarium is not yet available for Macintosh'!!! :-) I signed up for the mailing list though, as the screenshot looks great and I'd love to see it in action. I tried it on my PC, but there was some stuff missing and not being a Windows person, I gave up (or maybe I was just being lazy). Anyway, it looks very cool - good luck with the project.
spiralmonkey,

Install was completely painless, and I experienced no display issues at all. The interface is excellent, and the graphics are superb. A very professional product.

Keep up the good work!
That's a nice screen saver. I didn't expect it to run on my old machine, but it did!

There was one problem though: it tries to access the internet when it starts up. That's a definite no-no.
I like it :) and i love the feed the fish option :D

Very nice.

If i could make a suggestion or two!:

-Gimme one of those little Diver Dudes you see in aquariums at the pet shop!
-A nightime/time setting

I hope i dont overfeed mine :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement