• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zeraan

The Asteroids of Beyaan (Screenshots and download!)

This topic is 4853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, here's my latest release. It is called "The Asteroids of Beyaan" Hope that you enjoy it. The green rocks are minerals, you need to pick them up so you can buy upgrades [grin] It's not finished yet, but I've put it on hold for another bigger project, "The Starfighters of Beyaan" [grin] Screenshot: Please give me your feedback! What you like and don't like. You can change the image files, the menu layout, upgrade costs, etc. It's almost completely moddable :) But if you add mustache to my picture, I'll send a virus to you! [grin] [Edited by - Zeraan on December 2, 2005 12:28:28 PM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Zeraan
Ok, here's my latest release.

It is called "The Asteroids of Beyaan" Hope that you enjoy it. The green rocks are minerals, you need to pick them up so you can buy upgrades [grin]

It's not finished yet, but I've put it on hold for another bigger project, "The Starfighters of Beyaan" [grin]

Screenshot:

Please give me your feedback! What you like and don't like. You can change the image files, the menu layout, upgrade costs, etc. It's almost completely moddable :) But if you add mustache to my picture, I'll kill you!

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but for me it runs and exits, in less than a second. How does it run for you? Anyone else?

The screenshot is awesome though!

C++

Ah yes. That's the problem. My D3D Device initalization is to blame, it've happened on other computers. I hacked it together... Here's the source code, I'm weak on DirectX stuff, so I just hacked it all together, then focused on the gameplay....

//D3D initalization function
bool TOutpost_Graphic::D3D_Init(HWND hWnd, int Width, int Height)
{
if ((m_D3D = Direct3DCreate8(D3D_SDK_VERSION)) == NULL)
return false;

D3DDISPLAYMODE DisplayMode;
if (FAILED(m_D3D->GetAdapterDisplayMode(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &DisplayMode)))
return false;

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS PresentParms;
ZeroMemory(&PresentParms, sizeof(D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS));
PresentParms.Windowed = true;
PresentParms.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
PresentParms.BackBufferFormat = DisplayMode.Format;
PresentParms.EnableAutoDepthStencil = true;
PresentParms.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D16;

if (FAILED(m_D3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd,
D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &PresentParms,
&m_d3dDevice)))
return false;

m_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE);

m_TextureMgr.Init(m_d3dDevice);

if (FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(m_d3dDevice, &m_Sprite)))
return false;

m_d3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ZENABLE, true);

m_SWidth = Width;
m_SHeight = Height;

return true;
}

The Graphic class:

class TOutpost_Graphic //DirectX Graphics Engine
{
private:
IDirect3D8* m_D3D;
IDirect3DDevice8* m_d3dDevice;

TTextureMgr m_TextureMgr;

ID3DXSprite* m_Sprite;

ID3DXFont *m_D3DXFont;
LOGFONT lf;

D3DXVECTOR3 m_Camera;
D3DXVECTOR3 m_CameraFocus;

int m_FramesPerSecond;
float m_SpeedModifier;

int m_SWidth, m_SHeight; //Screen width and height

public:
TOutpost_Graphic();
~TOutpost_Graphic();

//D3D Setup
bool D3D_Init(HWND hWnd, int width, int height);
void D3D_End();

Right now I'm busy with other stuff, and will get around to it later, but if someone can post a quick fix, that'd help. I will implement windowed/full screen and resolution change later on.

Did anyone try this game? I'd like to hear your feedback. Will work on the D3D Device problem soon, but it does work on some computers.

I tried this and it worked fine for me. Here's some feedback, I hope its not too critical.

I found the game MUCH too slow. I got in the fastest ship, and it was barely playable, it certainly wasn't 'fun'. It required too much thinking ahead, and sometimes the unpredictability of the collisions between astroids meant that there was an astroid heading your way fast, and absoutely nothing you could do about it. With these types of games, I find them really fun when things come at me thick and fast, and I have to react quickly to dodge them, blow them up or whatever. Theres an almost trance like state that is perfect if you can achieve it, in which the information coming in is almost, but not quite, enough to overwhelm you, and you have to rely on speed of thought and reflex to stay alive and win. Your game didn't do that for me at all, it was too slow, too much 'thought' required, and no reflex.

But hey, thats not a problem, this game is "almost completely moddable". So I looked for an option to change turning speed and acceleration of the ship. OK, I can change the image file and menu layout (via some very obscure, arbitary, numbers with no apparent function), but why would I want to do that anyway? I can change some meaningless graphical parameters with a highly abstract and obscure interface, but I can't change the basic gameplay? Thats a -1 for moddability from me I'm afraid.

There seems to be a gap from when the ship goes off the right side to when it comes back on the left, so its possibly to 'lose' your ship, which is just confusing. The top and bottom seem to be worse too.

The core of the game is here, and it works well. The interface and graphics are clean and easy to use, so with a bit more work, this game could get much better, and be real fun to play, but its not there yet :(

Thats just my opinion, you did ask for it. But, like I said, make a few changes, and it'll be great.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!