Hiya, looking for some help with schools ^-^

Started by
2 comments, last by ravyne2001 18 years, 4 months ago
One thing i recently looked at from Blizzard Entertainment, was a position in Game Design. This seems like a 100% dream job. It isnt very art orientated, which i was originally planning to go into, and I still might, im not sure, but it is somthing i never even knew existed. The link to Blizzards job application for this position is http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/game-designer.shtml Im wondering about how I can get into a college for this since my grades pretty much blow, and art seems to be the only thing that i can have going for me to get a chance to get into a school. Would I be able to transfer from an art school into a school that offers a Bachelors Degree in Game Design? Or should I just stick with an art school that has courses in Game Design, Imnot really sure what the best path to take is. Also if anyone has some suggestions, im really looking for a school in NYC or Boston, I really hope there is a good one in those areas. Sorry if I seem to ramble just trying to get all these thoughts out at once >.< thanks!
Advertisement
Game design is the most challenging and mentally stressful job in the entire industry in my opinion. You have to create a diverse and original world for your players, whilst also keeping gameplay, fun and fairness balanced.

If you're looking to go into games design as a career then I've found the best way to go about this is to join the company doing something else first. Whether that's being a tester and working your way up to QA lead and then applying for the games design position, or, in your case, joining as an artist and demonstrating your design capabilities. Companies would rather employ those they know are fit for the job and have some experience doing it. You can't just join a company and instantly design a game. You have to go through each step, one at a time to ensure that your game is both enjoyable and balanced.

I've also been speaking to several EAUK employees and 99.9999999% of them feel that the design degrees that universities are offering won't really help much when going for a design job.

Good luck to you.
Thanks alot for the advice :D
I've said this before... "Game Design" degrees are a bunch of bunk. You can't teach someone to design good games because you can't teach someone to have good ideas. A game design program might teach you how to formalize a good idea in such a way that it can become a good game, they might teach you how to make a good game better, but the bottom line is that you can't be trained to be creative. If you have good ideas already, truly good- not just ones *you* think are good, then it might help in some small part, but otherwise its a waste of time. I'm not sure how such degrees are recieved in the industry, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd have to say poorly.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement