Walking bass line...

Started by
2 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years, 4 months ago
I made a song that uses a walking bass line, but I just want to make sure that it sounds alright... 005.mp3[1.9MB] C&C please! (on the bass line mind you, I know the melody is repetitive..)
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Advertisement
I'm not sure why you felt a walking bassline would be appropriate for the song...

That being said, it's hard to say whether the actual notes are good - I would say that many of them are not, but I'd have a damn hard time pointing any one note out. I would highly suggest a drastic change in the bass style - more rhythmic, fewer 'jazz' notes, just stick to the basic chords, I suppose.

Now that I'm farther, most of the walking lines in the second half of the walking part just don't fit at all.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I agree with the previous poster that such a walking bass line does not seem the most appropriate for this type of song, unless you have a good reason to give it this. Melodically, the loop is allright although there are a few dissonant notes -- for what it is worth I think it is doable but if you want to stick to a solid harmonic line you should change a few notes.

Also, I feel the bass line is a bit static; it just goes on and on and on playing exactly at each count. It would be nice if it would miss a beat here and there or play on a half instead. Also, perhaps add some swing because it sounds very computer-ish (played without feeling).

Finally, from an orchestrating/mixing view, there is a lot of space between the high notes and the base which leaves them very disconnected. This also has to do with the type of bass line not fitting the song.

Illco
Good comments. Reminded me to mention that the bass line isn't very clean, or, too clean. The sound of it just doesn't sound right - too perfect, and it doesn't stand out enough. Stronger attacks could help this somewhat, or just playing around with boosting specific ranges on your EQ.

Illco points out that it plays on every single beat. It *would* be nice if it missed a beat, played a half note, a dotted-quarter/eighth pattern, a couple eighth notes together, or anything to make it sound more like a walking line. Bassists tend to work with the drummer (which isn't there) for most of the song, but will also respond to melodic hits, or pretty much anything the soloist does. In otherwords, have the bass mimic some of the rhythms in the melody/harmony lines.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement