• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
armond

Were these games built using OO technology?

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It doesn't matter if they used pure object oriented or not... I'd just like to ask if they in fact used OOP technology in this games... Mario 1(2 or 3) Zelda Gradius Final Fantasy 1 Just for to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks! :D

Advertisement
To the best of my knowledge NES games were created in 6502 assembly - so I seriously doubt they used OO techniques.

If you're really want to know how they were done, i'd suggest looking here and here.

No.

In fact, even the Madden series finally switched to C++ with Madden360. However, that doesn't mean that there were no object-like constructs implemented with C.

I seriously doubt it -- console games (and especially Japanese games in general) have never been big fans of the object-oriented methodologies. I've seen a lot of even very recent Japanese games that aren't even data-driven; huge piles of hacks in the executable for simple things because it "seems to work".

Considering they're NES games, they're also likely programmed in 6502 ASM rather than an object-oriented language. And chances are also pretty good that they didn't use any kind of object-oriented methology (certainly not polymorphism, etc though I'm sure they used some sort of simple data-structure).

There is, of course, no reason that you can't produce remakes of these games using the tools and methods we have available today if they make your life easier.

Hmmm... I thought so... I seriously doubted they used OOP in those old games... How about the japanese games in PS1/PS2? Any info? Thanks a lot!

It's going to depend on the game and the developer. Generally speaking, the games that have been released iteratively over many years (sports franchises, etc) are less likely to be completley object-oriented, because a lot of the same codebase was used for each iteration.

Like I said, Madden is now finally written in C++ and utilizes OO (from what I've been told by people there, anyway) because they practically rewrote the whole thing to meet the demands of the new platforms.

Object Oriented really isn't a technology. It's a style, a set of rules, that help organize your code into a way that is easier to visualize.

That being said, languages that are considered "Object oriented languages" usually have these rules built right in to the language.

Since the old NES games were written in Assembly, they weren't using an OO language, but they may have used some OO concepts written in assembly.

Remember, even C++ compilers are sometimes written in assembly, a non OO language.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
I seriously doubt it -- console games (and especially Japanese games in general) have never been big fans of the object-oriented methodologies. I've seen a lot of even very recent Japanese games that aren't even data-driven; huge piles of hacks in the executable for simple things because it "seems to work".

That's surprising, considering Java is the number one language in Japan right now. I would have figured that they liked OO. Granted, that's PC versus console.

Quote:
Original post by JBourrie
Remember, even C++ compilers are sometimes written in assembly, a non OO language.

Who in their right mind would write a C++ compiler in assembly? Do you have any examples?

"Who in their right mind would write a C++ compiler in assembly? Do you have any examples?"

I'm not a compiler expert, so I'm not going to fake that I am. It may have been a bad example, but the better example requires more extrapolation:

The first version of C was written on Unix in assembly. The next version of Unix was then written in C.

The first version of whatever the first OO language was had to have been written in a non-OO language.

The point I was trying to make with my uneducated assumption was that OO is not a technology, it is just a method of writing code that can be implemented in some form in any language, including assembly for the NES, though it's much easier and more practical to do so in languages designed for OO.

I probably shouldn't have stated it as fact, though, since I meant it to be a hypothetical example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!