• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GDKnight

Linked Lists Class Presentation

This topic is 4855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My "Beginning C#" Professor changed our test to a "presentation." I decided I would present linked lists and some concepts associated with them in the C# language. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a few very good linked lists articles using C# if possible, not just linked lists though. Perhaps give a few other applications such as circular lists, unrolled linked lists, and various related items to give a breif overview of its alternative uses. Perhaps sential nodes. Pictures demonstrating this concept would be great, seeing as its often used to describe them I can probably make these on my own though. If possible any suggestions on how to introduce this rather complex subject matter to beginning programming students, which will be a task in its own. [smile] [Edited by - GDKnight on December 2, 2005 3:35:43 AM]

Advertisement
If you are a university student then you should be able to check your Uni's library, they should be have books on data structures & algorithms for you to loan it would probably be better than any online article.

Quote:
Original post by GDKnight
If possible any suggestions on how to introduce this rather complex subject matter to beginning programming students, which will be a task in its own. [smile]

I'd probably start by giving brief examples of situations that could be helped using a linked list (middle insertion/deletion into array, dynamic sizing, binary tree construction). As for the rest of your post, you won't believe what I found.

I implemented the linked list myself, and yes I know how google works. I was mostly asking for input on how to present it most of the people in the class have never even seen a linked list before. Trying to come up with a simple example to show the basic concepts.

Guest Anonymous Poster
i'd find it quite interesting if the presenter demonstrated maybe a generic algorithm that removes a node from the list if a certain condition is met and then (if you had a c/c++ class before of familiarity of your fellow students with c/c++ can be assumed) point out the differences especially in terms of garbage collection in the clr in contrast to the manual memory management with c/c++ .. i.e.the danger of dangling pointers etc.

really just to get a twist in your presentation .. instead of pointing out what's *there* in C# turn around and tell people what isn't. and for some people that is a nice thing to have (or not to have).

in fact that's a mistake i often see people make who come from a collected world (especially java, as it's been around a bit longer) to native c/c++ ... they often times just redirect a pointer and think that everything will be taken care of :) that's when the c/c++ instructors freak out, usually.

just a thought :) good look with your presentation!

regards,
simon.

Guest Anonymous Poster
aah i'm sorry. didn't get that "beginning programming students".

simon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!