This isnt a joke, what is .NET?

Started by
18 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi, i've been hearing alot about .NET, never took interest in it, however, 99% of employers ask for .NET knowledge, after googling .NET, and what is .NET, etc, it seems its a large topic, and the search seemed as pointless as simply typing C++ in google. SO i figured asking humans, is the wise thing. SO uhh, basically what is "it", and can i do "it" using Visual Studio 6.0..
Advertisement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_.NET
These days I often find wikipedia a better starting place the google when I'm looking for something specific.
Quote:Original post by bikola_p
Hi, i've been hearing alot about .NET, never took interest in it, however, 99% of employers ask for .NET knowledge, after googling .NET, and what is .NET, etc, it seems its a large topic, and the search seemed as pointless as simply typing C++ in google. SO i figured asking humans, is the wise thing. SO uhh, basically what is "it", and can i do "it" using Visual Studio 6.0..

"It" is a marketing term that covers a lot of stuff. If you want a quick'n'dirty definition, it's basically Java on steroids. Instead of one language, you get to pick and choose from multiple languages, all of which compile to the same bytecode (known as "MSIL"). Unlike Java, the .NET bytecode is always compiled before being run; interpreted execution is not an option, so complaints about speed are moot. That compilation usually takes place on the end-user's PC, with the idea being that the compiler can take advantage of specific optimisations for that PC.

.NET also includes a brand new Windows development framework. The purpose of this framework is to replace MFC, which has always sucked.

No, it won't work with Visual Studio 6.0.

However, you can download the current Visual Studio 2005 "Express" editions for free. Microsoft support their own Visual Basic.NET, (which is substantially different from VB 6 to be considered a new language); C#.NET (which is as close as you can get to a 'native' .NET language), and C++.NET, (which is C++ with .NET bits welded on, although you can choose to ignore the .NET bits and just write ordinary C++ if you prefer). These "Express" editions are free. (Yes, you read that right. Free. As in beer.)

.NET is currently on v2.x. Earlier versions have been something of a work-in-progress, but v2.x is looking much more stable and feature-complete.

Summary:

* If you want to develop mainstream apps for Windows, go with .NET. It's a lot cleaner than MFC. Frankly, it's a no-brainer.

* If you want to develop games _only_ for Windows, .NET is certainly up to the job for most genres.

* If you want to develop games for multiple platforms, avoid .NET and look at something like coding to OpenGL and/or SDL.
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
.NET is a framework that was designed by microsoft that runs all C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET applications. All applications in .NET are converted to MSIL, or Microsoft Intermediate Language.
- GDKnight
Playing devil's advocate for a second, the .NET framework is portable to other operating systems.. Really it's just an interface used to abstract away the need to know what OS is running.

Some parts of the .NET framework are unavailable on other OS's, but there is a Linux port of it in development. I wouldn't be surprised if .NET games could be ported to Linux or even MacOS in the near future.
Is .NET actually very much better than MFC, I just bought a book on that :(
[ my blog ]
SO basically if i know C++ , a little Java, and say some VB, i can use the .NET compiler to decaler C++ variables, VB librarys to do stuff with the variables, and Java functions to work with the output of the VB functions which worked on the C++ Variables. OR is it simply a compiler which can do all 3.
Quote:Original post by bikola_p
SO basically if i know C++ , a little Java, and say some VB, i can use the .NET compiler to decaler C++ variables, VB librarys to do stuff with the variables, and Java functions to work with the output of the VB functions which worked on the C++ Variables. OR is it simply a compiler which can do all 3.

Probably not theres a few new things that you probably wouldn't even be aware of like properties, XML commenting. Also, everything is namespaced and OOP Based like java, various classes that make your life more simple. You might be able to write code but I bet it wouldn't be very good, at least for awhile.
- GDKnight
Quote:Original post by arithma
Is .NET actually very much better than MFC, I just bought a book on that :(

Yes, the interface that the .NET Framework provides to GDI is infinitely better than MFC. The MFC->.NET jump is like the Win32->MFC jump, only even awesomer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement