• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ToxIk

OpenGL Help, completely random framerates

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having one of the strangest problems I've had with opengl (and even in general). For some reason, whenever I run my little opengl app I (mostly) wrote (in VC7.NET w/ glut), I get some quite random framerates. That is, sometimes it will run at a steady 64fps and other times it will run at well over 200 constantly. The program does the same thing everytime, so it's not as though the scene is becoming more complex and slowing down. Another strange thing that happens, is when the program is running at the low 64fps, and I move my mouse around, the framerate jumps up to around 125fps. I've tried many things in attempts to find the root of this problem. My CPU and RAM usage when running the program is minimal, yet the problem occurs. I've updated my computer to WinXP SP2 to get the never opengl32.dll that comes with it, but that didn't help. I've redownloaded the latest (as far as I could find) dlls libs and header files to see if that would do anything, and again, nothing. I've installed the latest drivers for my graphics card. I've tried building the app in both debug and release mode. Another strange thing as that I haven't had this problem on any other computer I've run the program on. Just mine so far. The only thing that seems constant, is I have pretty much the same problem with a similar program. However, all my games that use opengl run just fine. My computer is a P4C 2.8ghz @ 3.15, 1024MB DDR500 RAM with a ATi Radeon 9800XT so I doubt I have any bottlenecks. Please help, I really would like to know just what the hell is causing this.

Advertisement
pentium IV cpus now support one technology names "throttle",which is something like "speed step".the technolygy can dynamicly increase/decrease the cpu frequency for self-protection.
wish help.

Thank you so much emmai, that seems to be the root of the problem.

I tested it by running a program that puts a fair amount of load on the CPU and then running my app. Low any behold, when I did this, I had those nice high framerates. However, I went into my BIOS and disabled the thermal throttling then into the windows power management and selected the "Always On" profile and my program still won't run higher than 64fps unless I open up some other application to use up CPU.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!