• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
emmai

CGGL vs FFP

This topic is 4855 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to use vertex program to do VertexBlends(in Skinned Animation),and I'm new to CG. I think I should do something like cgGLBindProgram... the problem is can I use CG & FFP simutaneously in one program? say,can I use CG in VertexBlends,but FFP in something like terrain rendering?

Advertisement
The simple answer is yes you can use shaders and non shaders powered graphics in the same application, though not for the same object unless you want to multipass render or re-implement the whole FFP in CG (though that's not very FFP ....). Mearly unbind the shader, and opengl will switch back to the fixed functin pipeline.

GOCP

they are same , no diffrenet between them only the coding style and CG works on NVIDIA cards and GLSL work on all cards that support ogl2.0+

CG isn't just Nvidia, it shuold run on ATI cards as well.

I switched from CG to GLSL as I work only in Opengl and found it cleaner to work with. Have a search of the forums, lots of threads discussing when one if more apporpriate than the other.

I'd go GLSL if you're starting out and don't need DirectX support.

GOCP

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!