• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OleKaiwalker

Books

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, Are any of you willing to share your experiences with some of the books on programmering? Perhaps recommendations? My main point of instrest is shader or game programmering books

Advertisement
Here are some of the books that I have bought and enjoyed.

Focus on 3D Terrain Programming
Trick of The 3D Game Programming Gurus
Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming

The OpenGL Shading Language (The Orange Book) is good. But obviously won't teach you CG or HLSL. Although I've found shader programming knowledge is quite transferable, also download RenderMonkey from ATI if you're planning on playing with shaders.

And like I_Smell_Tuna, I also recommend 'Beginning OpenGL Game Programming'.

Quote:
Original post by I_Smell_Tuna
Game Coding Complete 2nd Edition
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming

I also like these. Game Code Complete is a really great book, I haven't read it all yet but it covers LOTS of stuff. Really great for lots of general tips, he gives lots of source code (and explains it), and also a bunch of cool stories "from the pixel mines" sharing his real experiences when working on games in industry which make it quite fun to read. If looking for an all around game programming book, I'd recommend this one.

OleKaiwalker,

Personally I really like 'Real-time Rendering'. It pretty much covers everything graphics-wise, and gives you enough information to work everything out without being completely vague (ie it tends to make you think about the topic and implement it your way instead of throwing code in your face). I own 5 of the game programming gems, but they are more of a reference for 'when the time comes', as opposed to just sitting down and enjoying all the articles.

As for shaders, I also like Wolfgang Engel's ShaderX series. The third book comes to mind quite often when I think of shaders. The GPU Gems are pretty good also, but they are like the programming gem books.

-brad

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!