[web] C# ASP.NET 1.0 - SQL Error

Started by
12 comments, last by evolutional 18 years, 4 months ago
I made a database for a blog im inserting data as follows using the SQL Jet Database: INSERT INTO BlogData ("Date", "Subject", "Body") VALUES ("12/2/2005", "", "") I keep getting the error "Operation must use an updateable query." I was looking online and some people say this is due to security permissions. Is this true? If so is there a work around? Main reason I ask is because its for a school project and well they dont give us admin access.
- GDKnight
Advertisement
The SQL isn't the problem. Show us the code you are using to execute the SQL, you haven't used the right type of lock or cursor (you've used some kind of client side only/read only connection, but we don't know unless you give us the code).
I am pretty bad at AOD that doesn't surpise me.
This code is probably wrong I am not sure of what it should be though.

Code executed for database when "post" is pressed:
			string dateString;			// Create a string that stores the date.			dateString = DateTime.Today.Month + "/" +				DateTime.Today.Day + "/" + 				DateTime.Today.Year;			// Insert data into BlogData table.			string mySelectQuery =					"INSERT INTO BlogData (\"Date\", \"Subject\", \"Body\") "+					"VALUES (\""+dateString+"\", \""+					blogTitleTextbox.Text+"\", \""+					blogBodyTextbox.Text+"\")";				// OleDbConnection.				OleDbConnection myConnection = new OleDbConnection(					"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"+					@"Data Source=[path removed]\blog.mdb");				// OleDbCommand.				OleDbCommand myCommand = new OleDbCommand();				myCommand.CommandText = mySelectQuery;				myCommand.Connection = myConnection;				// OleDbAdapter.				OleDbDataAdapter m_dataAdapter = new OleDbDataAdapter();				m_dataAdapter.SelectCommand = myCommand;				// DataSet				DataSet m_DS = new DataSet();				m_dataAdapter.Fill(m_DS, "BlogData");
- GDKnight
I don't know why you're getting the error cause I've never used SQL in C#...

But you should try changing your code to be more like this for the sake of preventing SQL injection and stuff... (Note that you'll have to change the field types/lengths in the parameter adding lines.)

...string mySelectQuery =	"INSERT INTO BlogData (\"Date\", \"Subject\", \"Body\") VALUES (?, ?, ?)";// OleDbConnection.OleDbConnection myConnection = new OleDbConnection(	"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"+	@"Data Source=[path removed]\blog.mdb");// OleDbCommand.OleDbCommand myCommand = new OleDbCommand(mySelectQuery, myConnection);myCommand.Parameters.Add("@p1", OleDbType.Char, 10).Value = dateString;myCommand.Parameters.Add("@p2", OleDbType.Char, 10).Value = blogTitleTextbox.Text;myCommand.Parameters.Add("@p3", OleDbType.Char, 10).Value = blogBodyTextbox.Text;...
Also, is there a reason you can't use myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() to execute your INSERT statement? Like I said in my previous post, I never used SQL with C#, so this is just a guess based upon the MSDN documentation...
Quote:
m_dataAdapter.Fill(m_DS, "BlogData");

I don't believe you can Fill doing a SQL "INSERT" Command. You actually don't need the data adapter either. Usually the above code is for Queries ( SQL SELECT )only. Instead try this

// Where NumRows is the number of rows in the table effected by the Insert.int NumRows = myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() 

ExecuteNonQuery() is for Insert, Update, and Create, etc........

Hope this helps you out.

- Bill

[Edited by - Billr17 on December 2, 2005 10:57:23 AM]
I changed it to prevent mysql injection but im still getting same error.

If I remove
DataSet m_DS = new DataSet();

It doesnt give an error but it also doesnt do any execution of the script.

I tried changing it to:
myCommand.Connection.Open();
myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();
myConnection.Close();

I am still getting the same error.
- GDKnight
Quote:Original post by GDKnight
I changed it to prevent mysql injection but im still getting same error.

If I remove
DataSet m_DS = new DataSet();

It doesnt give an error but it also doesnt do any execution of the script.

I tried changing it to:
myCommand.Connection.Open();
myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();
myConnection.Close();

I am still getting the same error.

string mySelectQuery = ............OleDbConnection myConnection = ....... int NumRows = 0;OleDbCommand myCommand = new OleDbCommand(mySelectQuery, myConnection );myConnection .Open();NumRows  = myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();myConnection .Close();

If that still doesn't work add a try catch block around The ExecutNonQuery. Output the exeption string and post it, so we can see if soemthing else is going on. The code above should work, unless I made a typo. I just copied and pasted from a personal project written in VB .NET. So if there is any errors, it should only be in my translation to C#. ie:

Try{    // Modify data in database.    NumRows= objCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()}Catch(OleDbException ex){    // Output error message.    MsgBox(ex.ToString, MsgBoxStyle.Critical, "Fatal Error!")}

Bill
I tried all that. The error im getting is "Operation must use an updateable query." still.
- GDKnight
Quote:Original post by GDKnight
I tried all that. The error im getting is "Operation must use an updateable query." still.

Just a few dumb questions... You don't still have myCommand.CommandText = mySelectQuery; in the code do you? I See your using MS Access for the database. Is there a password or anything set on the Access Database? Maybe post your whole block of current code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement