Quick check - pixel shaders impossible without vs?

Started by
2 comments, last by DrGUI 18 years, 4 months ago
Hi I'm just checking before I delete my code doing fixed function skinning - it's not possible to use pixel shaders with the fixed-function vertex processing is it? I know you can use vertex shaders with fixed-function pixel shaders, which is good for older hardware...can just use software vertex processing :) Chears
Advertisement
It IS possible to use fixed function vertex processing with pixel shaders. It is up to you if you want to throw away your fixed function code. I would probably keep it because you never know when it will come in handy.

If you're going to use pixel shaders anyway, you might as well also use vertex shaders since they offer a lot more flexibility in how you do things and in the information you're able to pass to your pixel shader.

neneboricua

[Edited by - neneboricua19 on December 2, 2005 2:26:21 PM]
Maybe a good solution is to use effect files? have a FF-based technique and a VS-based technique. It should provide a reasonable "base" by which to develop from - if things explode or generally go wrong then you can just drop back to the FF-based technique because you know it works [smile]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

neneboricua19, thanks for the reply. I thought I tried using pixel shaders once but didn't work...I always need to do lighting calculations in vertex shaders as you said. Nevertheless I won't delete my fixed-function code - just remove it.

Thanks jollyjeffers, I do use effect files and FF pixel shader fallbacks. In my experinec however, FF skinning is not very practical. Things exploding can be a problem can't they? Hurrah for designing for loose coupling and designing to interfaces!

That's my question answered - cheers and rates

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement