• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tris123

need help

This topic is 4859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im new to game programming but i dont have time to learn all the really basic stuff, and i dont think i need it. I read the thing on this site and that didnt help at all, and im really good at visual basic anyways. Im getting C++ and im probably going way ahead of myself but im getting Animatek World Builder 3.0. but what books and programs should i get apart from those?. Any help would be help anything from 3D model programs to game programming code books(remember im trying to get into 3D programming).

Advertisement
If you're really serious about learning game programming, you're going to need all that basic stuff. Game programming is really the art of data structures used efficiently, with a graphical output thrown in for good measure. Not to say you can't start out by coding games first, just don't expect to be doing it all right after you jump off the board.

As most people will recommend, your first titles will likely be along the lines of Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, and then either a Tetris or Asteroids clone. These are reasonable goals and they will give you a very good idea of what goes on in making a game. Plus you'll find what works and what doesn't, and who knows, you might even come out with a little library of functions that you've found helpful in working on these projects.

Or, you could be a nut like me and continue with console titles and have fun working on Roguelikes. [smile]

Oh, and as far as C++ books goes, I've always had fond memories of Deitel & Deitel's C++: How To Program. It's presented much like a college textbook, which some people find very helpful.

For software, I would use the free compiler Dev C++. If you want microsoft products, look on ebay, you can get compilers there really cheap. Since you are starting out, for a graphics library, I would use SDL. SDL is easy to use and there are several tutorials on the web, so no book is needed. For a sound library , try using FMOD, very easy.

As for C++ books, try Ebay or Half.com. Before you buy, do some research and use Amazon reviews to help decide if it is a book worth buying. I personly like going down to my local half price books store, to find cheap books. I then look on Half and Ebay, to see if I can find a better price.

Dev C++:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp/

SDL:
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

FMOD:
http://www.fmod.org/

Quote:
Original post by tychon
If you're really serious about learning game programming, you're going to need all that basic stuff. Game programming is really the art of data structures used efficiently, with a graphical output thrown in for good measure. Not to say you can't start out by coding games first, just don't expect to be doing it all right after you jump off the board.

As most people will recommend, your first titles will likely be along the lines of Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, and then either a Tetris or Asteroids clone. These are reasonable goals and they will give you a very good idea of what goes on in making a game. Plus you'll find what works and what doesn't, and who knows, you might even come out with a little library of functions that you've found helpful in working on these projects.

Or, you could be a nut like me and continue with console titles and have fun working on Roguelikes. [smile]

this is the bad part so do i have to figure out the code for tetris or is there some book which has all this in i work best by copying code out of books then using it in different programs

You need to wean yourself of that. Game programming is not copy and paste. It is writing code which you have never ever seen anywhere else. Practice writing code without using books as a guide (except for reference). Most books will have exercises at the end of each chapter; DO THEM.

Quote:
Original post by tris123
this is the bad part so do i have to figure out the code for tetris or is there some book which has all this in i work best by copying code out of books then using it in different programs

yeah there are books and tutorials where you can copy and paste code... then again why not just download someone elses finished tetris source code and call it your own - you get the same result faster. The problem with copy and paste is: 1. commercial uses are mostly illegal. 2. if you don't credit your source you are commiting plaigarism. 3. if you ever want a job making games you're not going to get one that way (after all, why pay you 40k+ a year to copy and paste what a minimum wager can copy and paste).

Also note, by just copying and pasting - instead of fully understanding & writing your own - you're going to be screwed the minute you go to your book store looking for "Complete source for the game you've been contracted to make that hasn't been made yet".

It seems like you aren't interested in the programming part of making games - and there's nothing wrong with that. The question then is, are you interested in the art? Or perhaps the overall design? If it's design you should take a serious look at "build your own game" programs... I can't give you any specific examples since the last one of those I used/saw was about 10 years ago. But the basic idea is they provide you with all the nitty-gritty game engine, and all you have to do is set things like: Is this a side scroller? drag-and-drop to build the level. how many hit points do you have? how much damage does this enemy do? etc etc - all in a nice UI.

where would one go about finding these game engine programs and can they create games that are as good graphically as like doom and 3d games like that.

You mis-understand me. Those "plug and play" game programs don't create doom3's... they create super mario world, or if you prefer (which i do) commander keen.

Here's the thing:
A computer science degree, or even a newer game development degree from a college takes 4 years, full-time. After graduating, you still can't make a doom3. With the help of other programmers who know ai better than you, or physics better than you, or graphics better than you - you might all be able to pull together and create somethign like doom3 after working on it full-time for a few years. But then you still need artists to make things look good...

So, you want to do the job of 12 people with ~72 years cummulative experience (minimum), by yourself, in less than 1 year.

... you do see the problem with this, correct?

Now, you may want to look at "modding" a FPS like doom3 or half-life2 (hl2 might be easier since it has a wider modder user base and more support for modding). This lets you make your own levels, your own monsters (with the help of someone who's a good 3d modeller and someone else whos a good texture artsist and someone else who knows a bit of c++ to understand current monster ai and create a new one), and new weapons and whatnot (again, need's a modeller, texture artist, and to a lesser extent a programmer)... great mod's usually start popping up after a group of 5+ people work on it for a year or so (assuming they have previous experience). This still requires understanding of low-level programming concepts and implementations if you're going to be the programmer.

If you were talking about the original DOOM (which isn't real 3d - and probably isn't what you meant) take a look here http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/index.shtml
Modding an old game like this will take less time than modding a newer game - or creating one from scratch...

As for the "game maker" programs that are plug-and-play: http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/create.htm
Stay away from the "3D Engines" section - they're not what you're looking for, as they require lots of the "low" level stuff you say you don't have time/interest in.

Create game himself - difficult task. You must find an artist, programmer, compositor etc.
I see that you want create game, but did not want to learn programming. If you good game designer some groups of game developers can realize your ideas.
P.S. It is easy write 2d game without AI, but creating 3d game very hard task. My advise – start from 2d games.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!