• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AAAP

(engine) Design Question

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok i know we throw the word engine around a lot on these boards, heres what im talkin about. I've been building modules for my game from the bottom up, now I'm moving to higher level stuff and i guess I'll have them meet in the middle somwhere, or work out the middle on paper. But anyway, the very top of it consists of a Window management class, and i guess a game calss to encapsulate all the other modules of the engine. But should I put the window encapsulated in the game class to? then it would be one big namespace, which is kinda cool, but I sort of wanted to keep them seperate, then maybe even (even though people advize against this relentlessly) have window management and the game itself handled in 2 seperate threads.

Advertisement
Personally, I put all DirectX or custom variables inside the window class, but have the variable cEngine in it to provide access to all of the functions.

I compose cEngine from various other classes i make (cTexture, cInitialise etc).

Seems to be very organised for myself

Personally I would keep the windows stuff out of the engine.
Rather have smaller and more well defined modules, besides, it would be easier to port the game module to other systems if the windows stuff is kept out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!