• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jnrprogrammer

c

This topic is 4856 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Xpyder
Any valid C program is also a C++ program.

Not quite. Recent C standards (C99) are incompatible with the C++ standards. Certain C99 code will not compile on a C++ compiler.

Quote:
Original post by Xpyder
None lol - just see C as a non-OO version of C++.

Any valid C program is also a C++ program.

Not really, the following:

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
int new = 1;
printf("New is %d\n",new);
return 0;
}

is a valid C program but not a valid C++ program.

Apart from the regular nitpicking about minor incompabilities traditional software design is quite different in C, as well as idioms and best-practices. As always it's a good idea to know both approaches, whether it's worth the effort is another matter entirely..

C# is something quite different than C, atleast conceptually.
Its a youg language (even younger than Java I believe)
Personally I would choose to go with C/C++.
The vast majority of code is written in C/C++, and the young languages have not yet proven to survive as C/C++ has.

Thats my conservative opinion.

However, C# probably will survive as MS have started writing all their applications in it, and it is heading the .NET framework.

Managed C++ (which you will need to write applications in the future in) is just to support the old syntax, and it makes some tasks complicated and fiddly which in a langauge like C# are simple.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!