• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BeanDog

[web] CRAZY problem with DNS?

This topic is 4860 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, so I registered www.BeanDogSoft.com through webmasters.com. Last night, I upgraded to a static IP address (so I can have my own SSL certificate). The IP address is 66.118.155.219. Pretty quickly, I noticed that when I pointed my browser at www.beandogsoft.com, I got a generic "no page here" error page from webmasters.com. That's okay, though, because DNS changes sometimes take 24 hours to complete. Well, this morning I was in the library and went to BeanDogSoft.com, and it came up fine. Great! It all went through. Now I come back home, and I still get the "no page here" error page! When I try to ping beandogsoft.com from the command line, it times out. When I try to ping 66.118.155.219 from the command line, it also times out. When I go to www.beandogsoft.com in my browser, I get an error page. When I go to http://66.118.155.219 in my browser, it goes to the right place! But I see the page with no images, because the images reference http://www.beandogsoft.com (URL's created dynamically by PHP), and my computer can't connect to www.beandogsoft.com. I asked my roommate to go to www.beandogsoft.com. He also got the error page. So I'm just really confused. It can't have anything to do with the browser, because this was the first time my roommate had ever gone to the site. I figure it must have something to do with the router. But we don't control the router; our internet comes through the apartment complex office--we can't just reset that! Sooo... Any suggestions? I can't even see my own site to work on it! ~BenDilts( void );

Advertisement
I've seen some pretty weird stuff with DNS changes (works one minute, broken the next, different errors all over the place). It often takes more than 24 hours for everything to settle down as different ISP, proxys, routers and browsers all may or may not have their own caches which interact in funny ways.

I'd give it at least three days first, if its still broken then you can start panicing about it. [grin]

Why do you think I can navigate to 66.118.155.219 in my browser when I can't even ping it? That part really has me stumped.

Chances are some network between you and the server has disabled ICMP traffic because of the usual DoS worries. DNS can take up to a week to propogate fully since some unfriendly DNS servers cache the queries for a lot longer than they should.

Try with IE for sure. Also it can take over 72 hours for things to settle down. When I was an ISP sys admin we told our clients 4 business days so they would stay off our backs. Almost always takes closer to 48 hours for DNS changes.

Yeah, things have settled down here. Works fine now. I was only concerned because it only seemed not to work here at the house :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!