I have problem with "typedef"

Started by
4 comments, last by Zahlman 18 years, 4 months ago
halleo my frinds, My name is Adel , I am A new member,, My question is: I have written my program by using typedef but I found this error: "LIBCD.lib(wincrt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16" I could not understand this error. My program here: #include<stdio.h> void main() { typedef int integer ; integer a=3; printf("A=%d",a); } thanks my frinds
Advertisement
The linker is looking for the entry-point as WinMain. It thinks you're trying to create a Win32 application where what you want to create is a console application. You need to recreate the project as a console application instead of what you chose. Perhaps we could tell you how to do this if you told us which IDE you're using. (I'm assuming a VC++, probably 6)
This has nothing to do with the typedef.

Basically, your linker is complaining that it can't find an entry point to your program.

Assuming your compiler can automatically detect wheither you're using main or WinMain, then the only problem is that your main function is listed as "void main()". It must have a return type of int for C++, and even for C it would be better this way (guaranteed to be supported IIRC).

If your compiler still gives you grief using "int main()", you probably selected the wrong type of project. You want a console project, not a windows one.
thank you for every body tried help me.
I have solved my problem,I was put Win32 rather than console projedct,but there are aquestion now,

What is the difference between Win32 application and console project and also the others that in the same window (Dynamic-link library,...),,
If there book or refernce help me about that,

I appreciate help,
thank you,
Adel
Hi,

welcome to gamedev.net! [smile]

The difference between Win32 and console programs is not great. A console program is automatically a Win32 program, so you can use every Win32 function like MessageBox() in a console program.
The difference is in the startup of the program, you can imagine it like this:

console program starts here
// Your main functionint main( int argc, char* argv[] ){   // do stuff   return 0; // success code, return another code to signal an error}// This WinMain is automatically created and calls your main()int WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPTSTR, int){  // open a console (text) window  // redirect output to text window  // parse the command line into argc and argv  // call the main() function  int retcode = main( argc, argv );  // close the console window  return retcode;}

You can do all these steps by yourself (allocating a console etc), but when you create a program as a console window, the compiler links in some libraries which do it for you automatically and then call main().

Technically, console mode uses a different subsystem than Win32, that means it is linked to different start up libraries.

You find more information about Win32 programming at the Microsoft site. There is also information about character mode applications and DLLs, processes and threads.
Please also note there is a For Beginners forum, which is more appropriate for "getting started" questions such as this. It should appear first in the forum list.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement