Sign in to follow this  
Ruudje

OpenGL Engine crashing due to camera angle?

Hi all, I'm facing a strange problem I have been unable to figure out by myself... I have restarted a basic opengl engine, with support for 3ds files and bmp textures so far. On to the problem: I added some simple formulas to make the camera perform a certain fly-by of the default model. I used the sin and cos functions with timeGetTime, nothing special, but after a certain time (I THINK it's because of the angle of the camera) the screen freezes and goes black after which the system crashes. If it doesn't crash, the system resets the VPU (ATI Radeon 9700 Pro) so the screen goes black for 1 second, resumes the program only to still crash within the next minute. I have tried 2 completely different models, both with the same resutls. I have tried the program without the formulaes, i.e. a static camera, and then it works fine. What could be causing this?

Check by outputting values after your sin / cos functions but before rendering where you are getting a divide-by-zero. I think it's a pretty safe bet that that is the problem here.

/edit: Darn, beaten! I opened this window and checked my e-mail before replying.

Here's the function that renders the default model

void Update(void)
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glLoadIdentity();

if(myApp->GetKey(VK_ESCAPE))
{
myApp->Update_ptr = &Quit;
return;
}

gluLookAt( 400.0f,
300.0f,
600.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f
);

GLfloat LightPosition[]= { 1.0f, 0.6f, 0.7f, 0.0f };
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPosition);

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);

obj_Default.Render_3ds();

glEnd();
}

This is the code that doesn't crash. If I alter the GLU_Lookat to...

gluLookAt( sin(timeGetTime() / 1500.0f) * 1200,
cos(timeGetTime() / 1400.0f) * 1200,
600.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f,
0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f
);

...things go wrong as described above.

cast the timegettime() function to a float: (float)timegettime()
because it returns a short integer.(I think dword is a short integer)
and change 1200 into 1200.0f

this are the two things where it could go wrong.

veel geluk

[Edited by - delta user on December 3, 2005 7:07:11 AM]

Try to write your own code instead of gluLookAt. Then if there is division by 0 you'd get a runtime error, and maybe even a line number.

This is kinda weird, only tan usually causes problems, not sin and cos.

I tried your code in one of my apps and it works fine.

It is verry weird because your app doesn't crash immediatly.

if it would be the camera code it should crash when your camera code gets executed for the first time and that would be when you start your app.

sorry for the code above. it was bad code so i removed it.

Things like resetting VPUs are mostly caused by buffer overruns or invalid indices - you better double-check your 3DS rendering code. I really can't imagine how any messed up camera matrix could cause such problems.
Are you by any change using VAs or VBOs? If so, take a close look at those. If not , check your 3DS loader for invalid indices.

HTH,
Pat

Try changing your up vector to (0,1,0). If that solves it then it is the angle you are using. Specifically you are hitting an angle where both sin and cos are returning zero. Not because the sin and cos of any given angle are both zero, but because you are so far out of the interval of convergence. You should use something like (((float)(timeGetTime() / A) % B) / B) * 2*PI to calculate the angle. The loop given above is wrong. It's wrong because it will most likely produce a huge negative angle and wrong numerically because you can't subtract your way back into range when you are so far out of range.

You should change how you calculate the angle regardless. What you're doing should be producing fairly irratic movement. If changing that up vector doesn't eliminate the crash then changing how you calculate the angle won't eliminate it either. Changing the up vector eliminates the possibility that you are generating (0,0,600) as the point you are looking at. The other major error you could make with LookAt is to look at the point the camera is at, but with the hardcoded 0 and 600 that isn't likely.

It is possible. How it can happen is addressing memory incorrectly. When you start stomping on memory all kinds of impossible things become possible. If you haven't commented out the call to render the scene then you might want to give it a try. It would make no sense that doing that would fix the problem so if it does then you most likely stomped on memory in that routine. If it stops the crash then obviously something in there was causing it.

Changing the up-vector didnt help.

I'm using the 3ds-loader from www.morrowland.com. Used it before in a project and it worked fine then...