Sign in to follow this  
Avalix

Help with chossing Game course at uni

Hi, I am wanting to do a game programing course next year at uni in UK and i was wonding if anyone had any info to help me finalise on a uni as im having really trouble finding info on this on the net. I have already sent my UCAS form off with the following uni's: Lincoln Sheffield Hallam Derby Hull Hudderfield Northumbria Any help would be apresiated Thanks Avalix

I've checked around most of the unis in the country who offer the Computer Games Programming degree and I'd have to say that Derby looks like the best one. It's the one I'm applying for as a first choice...might see you there :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Cool! indeed it was the most promasing one that i have looked at. nice to get Confirmation :D

Just need to get a reply back now

The thing about Derby was that the course was tailored specifically for current and next-gen games development. In contrast, other unis simply throw in 3 or 4 games modules into their current CS degrees.

If I may, could I ask what your experience / background is in games? Have you done much programming or worked on any mods? Just curious to see what my competitions like :D

lol sorry for that Anonymous Post :P

Yeah i have seen a few course that are just CS with one or two game modules

Well I’m very passionate about game, i have been playing them from about 6-7 years old. i have some programming experience from using VB in Access and Excel for my ICT course. I might learn a bit of C++ before I head off to uni so I can get a bit of a head start. I havnt made any mods or games yet but im hoping to start making a small game in flash when I get my workload done.

think thats it :P

How about you? whats your background like :)

Been playing games as long as I can remember, I believe Monkey Island was my first :) Since then I've jumped from platform to platform playing everything I can.

I've picked up the same Computing / ICT skills as you by doing A-Level Computing.

I've also spent a number of years learning C/C++ and C#. Done some work on DirectX and OpenGL. Just recently I started working as a programmer and technical advisor on a multiplayer Half-Life 2 mod as my blog shows.

Of course, the one problem I'm going to have with getting to study Games Programming at uni is that...I haven't actually applied yet *gulp*

wow looks like your programing skill kill mine :P

btw monkey island, great game. one of my faves:D

I love to do some modding but i just dont have the time with stupid coursework. Not a big fan of FPS anyway

Hi Avalix. Welcome to GDNet.

Many programmers take up a computer science degree as ot only do you learn how to program in various language such as Java and C++, but you also learn about object-orientated programming and what actually happens behinds the scenes of your programming using assembly language.

Good luck :-).

As UndeadInsanity mentioned, a majority of people do a Computer Science or similar (Software Engineering or even Electronic Engineering) course which will cover the concepts of programming, and then study and create games as a hobby outside of their academic curriculum. The advantage is a lot more well-rounded degree, and should you change your mind about what you want to do later, a Comp Sci degree is a lot more appealing than a Games Computing degree.

That aside, if your heart is set on taking a degree specifically related to games (and seeing as you have sent off your UCAS form), I will just advise you against Lincoln. Aside from the fact it has one of the lowest places (120 or something like that) in the league table, I have a friend there who is in his second year of the course and I hear nothing but complaints. The course moves very slow, is apparently very out of date in some subjects and has poor teaching. If you would like more information, I can probably pass your contact details on and see if my friend can give more advice for/against the Uni.

Though I don't personally have any experience with most of the other Uni's, I know there are a number of GDNet members at Hull and Derby who can offer advice, and I suspect Derby is probably your best choice from your list.

Either way, good luck with it.

Thanks everyone for all your info =). I think ill probs stick with derby for the time being.

sanguineraven - yeah u can give him my e-mail if u want. its cbshadow99@hotmail.com. i was set on going to lincoln at first but seeing stuff such as the leaguge tables and people complaining about the course (someone i talked to said that they got there comp. graphics teacher fired for not teaching anything :S)

Does anyone have more information on the Derby course? I have also been looking at unis to study games programming at, and the best one i found was Lincoln. Just wondering if there was more details on the course than just:

"Students receive an introduction to the philosophy of gaming (Ludology) and games design in the first year, along with broadening studies in programming, computer systems architecture, and internet technology. The second and third years focus more specifically on techniques of games programming and graphics programming. "

Thanks for your time

well if you e-mail them asking for more info. they should send you a pack. i got one and it was about 13-15 pages long with very detailed information about each module.

They also got a very good games lab. i think its brand new this year and has a lot of backing from microsoft

I like the sound of the one at Lincoln as in one of the Prospectuses I have it mentions about using the PS2 Linux Kit, which I personally think will be interesting and fun :p

Indeed the Lincoln one does sound good but I was put off a bit cause I heard stuff like some of the things that have already been mentioned on this post.

btw I remember the lecturer at derby telling me they were try to negotiate some Xbox 360 dev kits (not to bothered about the system but it still very cool :) ) and I remember seeing some Gamecube and another system (cant remember that one though) dev kits

lol this is such a hard choice :P