Sign in to follow this  
warp X

Sound recorder problem

warp X    192
The Windows sound recorder records a clicking sound to the beginning and end of a file. How can I get rid of it? It sounds really bad in loops etc.

I don't think I've ever had that happen. If you want, just record some dead time at the beginning and end (presumably, where the click will be), then chop it off after you're done recording.

SippyCup    176
Windows sound recorder isn't the best recording software. You might just have to use something else. There's probably a free cheapo sound recording program somewhere on the internet that is better than Windows sound recorder. Otherwise, you could make friends with someone who has sound editing software like Cakewalk or something better.

Oh, okay. I have had problems like that with Windows Movie Maker and extra, random black space at the start and finish (but I just use it to convert mpgs, and take them into Premiere and edit everything anyways).

Really, just check out Music Software, etc for some other free software that you can use instead of, or in conjunction with, Windows Sound Recorder (Audacity is a good bet).

Rain 7    100
What you are describing is most likely what is referred to as an 'artifact'. It happens when the end of a file is cut off prematurely before the last bit of sound is able to subside. I used to do it all the time when I was recording.
If that is the case, make sure to always leave a little extra space at the end of a file for a fadeout, if you are bouncing to disk or whatever, to ensure that is no snapping or crackling at the end of the file. (especially if you are using a lot of 'verb.)

Chuddox    122
If its snapping or popping when you are looping you need to crop your files where the wave cross the 0 axis. Lots of programs have a function called "Set loop to 0" or just "Loop to 0" which will do it automatically for you.

BKBen7    130
If I were you I'd try out Audacity its a great open source sound editing program, it also allwos you to do tons of effects and export to a few different formats. (ogg, mp3, wav)