• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Dev-C++ not creating exeutables

This topic is 4553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am reading a book called Teach yourself C++ in 21 days. I am using Dev-C++ as my compiler. I got to day 11 last night, and before I went to bed I installed the new version of it (4.9.9.2) and now this morning when I started reading my book again I typed in a program and it doesnt give me any compile errors but doesnt create an executable... what gives?

Advertisement
Did you remember to link the program? Compiling doesn't produce an executable right off the bat, it produces object files first. These files are then linked together with a linker.

The advantage to this system is that you can use multiple source files without recompiling them all at once, and you can also use libraries that other people have written that you don't have the source code for.

Dev - cpp is not a compiler it is an IDE. I guess your compiler is mingw32 well make sure it has its paths configured correctly and the target too

Well, I tried running it from the IDE via Execute > Compile & Run. It brought up the cmd console and did what the prog is supposed to be still made no exe :(.

4.9.9.1 allows spaces in the filepath of Dev-cpp, 4.9.9.2 does not - I still haven't updated it, for that reason. I really doubt that's your issue, but you might want to take a look.

Really weird that it runs the program but doesn't build the exe.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!