VS8 adds for each as a nonstandard unmanaged C++ extension

Started by
18 comments, last by snk_kid 18 years, 4 months ago
Try it! The syntax is for each(type declaration in collection). I'm not compiling with /clr at all, and it works just fine. I've been using BOOST_FOREACH for awhile now (macro'd to foreach()), but it will be very hard to avoid this in the name of portability. :)
Advertisement
I'll be damned, it does work.

#include <vector>#include <cstdlib>#include <algorithm>#include <iostream>using namespace std;int main(int argc, char* argv[]){	vector<int> numbers;	generate_n(back_inserter(numbers), 10, rand);	for each(int i in numbers)	{		cout<<i<<endl;	}	return 0;}

EDIT: MSDN.
*holy cr%p!* [totally]

Hmm, BOOST_FOREACH? I can't find it in the 1.33 dist... is it only in CVS?
edit: Nevermind, found it here. YEAH!!!
#if _MSC_VER >= 1400#define foreach(var, container)		if(false) {} else for each(var in container)#else#define foreach(var, container)	BOOST_FOREACH(var, container)#endif

Now it's portable.

EDIT: ...as long as you only iterate over standard containers, since Boost.Foreach also supports iterating any Boost.Range.

[Edited by - jdhardy on December 3, 2005 3:21:16 PM]
which is weird, because we already have std::for_each. If only they'd chosen to add lambdas instead.
Well, boost::phoenix is underway...
Now that's just plain messed up. I mean, everyone knows there is no such thing as a for each construct in C++, so, WTF? Adding obviously non-standard things like that is, in my opinion, not a very clever thing for Microsoft to do..
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Huh, that does look intersting. Still, I'd prefer real lambdas built into the compiler, rather than brittle template hacks which produce 200-line error messages.
Quote:Original post by SirLuthor
Now that's just plain messed up. I mean, everyone knows there is no such thing as a for each construct in C++, so, WTF? Adding obviously non-standard things like that is, in my opinion, not a very clever thing for Microsoft to do..

It's probably just an artifact from the C++/CLI for each construct. Basically it was already in the compiler anyways.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Quote:Original post by SirLuthor

It's probably just an artifact from the C++/CLI for each construct. Basically it was already in the compiler anyways.

Exactly. The for each, in construct was designed for C++/CLI, however in building it they also added support for arrays and standard C++ containers.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement