Sign in to follow this  
Abibbi

[java] Compilers, It's sick!

Abibbi    100
Hi! I wonna to start with java, but fist I need a compiler. Which compiler will I have, I just seen NetBeans, but that realy sucks. Which compiler is best? Thanks Albert Sorry for my bad english

Sneftel    1788
Huh? I did not understand virtually any of that. You can download the Java SDK at java.sun.com.

Sneftel    1788
There's no "best" compiler. If there were, everyone would use the same compiler, and there'd only be one.

I use the Sun java compiler.

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE JAVA SDK AT JAVA.SUN.COM!!!

LuckyOne    118
If youre beginner i would suggest to choose "Microsoft J# Express"
Available Here!
Its Java IDE for Windows with full NET support, and compiler that creates .exes instead of decompilable Clasess. (propably these exes are decompilable too)

Mattman    336
Sun created Java. Sun's Java SDK compiles Java. Netbeans is NOT a compiler, it is simply an IDE. It does USE the Java SDK compiler. Perhaps you are looking for an IDE and don't know what you're talking about? I would suggest Eclipse in that case.

LuckyOne    118
Quote:
Original post by Abibbi
Is Visual Java the same that Java?

Its the same Java, only differences are that it has own VM from Microsoft, and has NET support. I used Net Beans, JCreator (Lite), but they didnt suit my needs. Visual Java (Java Shar or J#) is the way to go. Its free till November 2006, so get your copy now! :)

Best features:
-Great debugging (Like in MS VC++)
-Speed
-Auto Complete for everything!

ToohrVyk    1595
Quote:
Original post by Abibbi
Is there any compiler that is easy to use?

The default Sun SDK compiler is extremely easy to use. To compile class foo, you simply use javac foo.java.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Sun are giving away Java Studio Enterprise for free if you join the java developers network....which is also free :)

nmi    978
Quote:
Original post by Abibbi
Is there any compiler that is easy to use?

Eclipse with JDT (Java Development Tools) is probably the best you can get. It's free, fast and easy to use. Eclipse has it's own implementation of a Java compiler. You will need a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) to execute Eclipse itself and the .class files produced by Eclipse.

You can get Eclipse from here:
http://www.eclipse.org/

OrangyTang    1298
Quote:
Original post by LuckyOne
Quote:
Original post by Abibbi
Is Visual Java the same that Java?

Its the same Java, only differences are that it has own VM from Microsoft, and has NET support. I used Net Beans, JCreator (Lite), but they didnt suit my needs. Visual Java (Java Shar or J#) is the way to go. Its free till November 2006, so get your copy now! :)

J# is *not* Java. Microsoft aren't allowed to call it Java because it is incompatible and doesn't conform to the spec. J# is really C# with a slightly different syntax.

LuckyOne    118
Pardon me OrangeTang, but you should know that Microsoft has a license agreement with Sun Microsystems.

By the way:
Quote:

Visual J++ is not a language, it is a development environment for writing Java applets and applications. Why is it called "Visual J++"? Just as Microsoft Visual C++ was a progressive move for the C language, Visual J++ provides a progressive shift for the Java language. Visual J++ is one step better than Java. It is a Java plus Component Object Model (COM). The Visual J++ compiler and Type Library Wizard allow Java programs to access language-independent COM libraries and controls.

For more information: Bills Big blog

OrangyTang    1298
Quote:
Pardon me OrangeTang, but you should know that Microsoft has a license agreement with Sun Microsystems.

Yes, and that license agreement was terminated years ago after a settlement, as MS's implementation did not conform to the spec. J++ is now discontinued, avoid it like the plauge. The settlement is why J# is never refered to by MS as 'Java', it just happens to be a language with a similar name and a similar syntax.

Quote:
For more information: Bills Big blog

That page is ages old (see the bottom, "Visual J++ version 1.1 will be available by the end of first quarter, 1997") before the settlement and is irrelevant.

SamLowry    1865
If you need to use/learn java, I suggest Eclipse as a compiler/IDE. Otherwise, if the language doesn't actually needs to be java, I consider C# using VC# Express as IDE a better choice. But stay away from J#.

LuckyOne    118
Thanks for the info OrangyTang, didnt now that. I started to code a simple "game" before two days, i choosed J#, just to use in practise what i learned before 2 years. Till now i have found everything what i have wanted through Java Forums, and i managed to get Glut & OpenGL running too.

What are the main reasons that i should use C# instead of J#?
Somehow J# rips C# off in speed tests, i remember that i saw one benchmark...

SamLowry    1865
Quote:
Somehow J# rips C# off in speed tests, i remember that i saw one benchmark...

Care to give me the link to that very dubious benchmark?

AFAIK, J# is just meant as a transition language between java and .NET. I've peeked at it a bit, and, on its own, the language is a joke; I can't imagine anyone using it over C# if there are no good reasons not to. I suggest you base your choice of language more on actual research than on just one benchmark.

Although I believe C# is a better language than java, it is not the goal of this post to point this out; if you want java, use java (with eclipse; I don't like JCreator, but this is based on my experiences with it of a year ago, maybe things have changed), but don't settle for some hybrid monster called J#.