[java] Compilers, It's sick!

Started by
69 comments, last by King of Men 18 years, 4 months ago
Pardon me OrangeTang, but you should know that Microsoft has a license agreement with Sun Microsystems.

By the way:
Quote:
Visual J++ is not a language, it is a development environment for writing Java applets and applications. Why is it called "Visual J++"? Just as Microsoft Visual C++ was a progressive move for the C language, Visual J++ provides a progressive shift for the Java language. Visual J++ is one step better than Java. It is a Java plus Component Object Model (COM). The Visual J++ compiler and Type Library Wizard allow Java programs to access language-independent COM libraries and controls.

For more information: Bills Big blog
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by LuckyOne
Pardon me OrangeTang, but you should know that Microsoft has a license agreement with Sun Microsystems.

Yes, and that license agreement was terminated years ago after a settlement, as MS's implementation did not conform to the spec. J++ is now discontinued, avoid it like the plauge. The settlement is why J# is never refered to by MS as 'Java', it just happens to be a language with a similar name and a similar syntax.

Quote:For more information: Bills Big blog

That page is ages old (see the bottom, "Visual J++ version 1.1 will be available by the end of first quarter, 1997") before the settlement and is irrelevant.
If you need to use/learn java, I suggest Eclipse as a compiler/IDE. Otherwise, if the language doesn't actually needs to be java, I consider C# using VC# Express as IDE a better choice. But stay away from J#.

Thanks for the info OrangyTang, didnt now that. I started to code a simple "game" before two days, i choosed J#, just to use in practise what i learned before 2 years. Till now i have found everything what i have wanted through Java Forums, and i managed to get Glut & OpenGL running too.

What are the main reasons that i should use C# instead of J#?
Somehow J# rips C# off in speed tests, i remember that i saw one benchmark...
Somehow J# rips C# off in speed tests, i remember that i saw one benchmark...

Care to give me the link to that very dubious benchmark?

AFAIK, J# is just meant as a transition language between java and .NET. I've peeked at it a bit, and, on its own, the language is a joke; I can't imagine anyone using it over C# if there are no good reasons not to. I suggest you base your choice of language more on actual research than on just one benchmark.

Although I believe C# is a better language than java, it is not the goal of this post to point this out; if you want java, use java (with eclipse; I don't like JCreator, but this is based on my experiences with it of a year ago, maybe things have changed), but don't settle for some hybrid monster called J#.
Here it is OS News Nevertheless c# scores higher and wow, im amazed that total score is even higher than GCC C code.
		INT	LONG	DOUBLE	TRIG	IO	TOTALVisual C#	9.7	23.9	17.7	4.1	9.9	65.3Visual J#	9.6	23.9	17.5	4.2	35.1	90.4Java 1.3.1	14.5	29.6	19.0	22.1	12.3	97.6

Quote:but don't settle for some hybrid monster called J#.

Ha ha, it isnt that bad.

Here it is OS News Nevertheless c# scores higher and wow, im amazed that total score is even higher than GCC C code.
		INT	LONG	DOUBLE	TRIG	IO	TOTALVisual C#	9.7	23.9	17.7	4.1	9.9	65.3Visual J#	9.6	23.9	17.5	4.2	35.1	90.4Java 1.3.1	14.5	29.6	19.0	22.1	12.3	97.6

Quote:but don't settle for some hybrid monster called J#.

Ha ha, it isnt that bad.

Those values are times measured in seconds, not scores. Did you honestly think that Python is 30x faster than C++?
Ha ha, by scores higher i meant that c# has a better result.
Anyway they stated that "All scores are given in seconds; lower is better."
My apologies, I thought you were linking to a benchmark which you said would show J# was faster; I misunderstood.

Anyway, I still wouldn't trust those benchmarks, I have a hard time believing C# would beat GCC C so easily.

Also, J# and C# should be identical in performance (which is the case for all categories except IO, which is most probably due to the fact that the benchmarking code for J# uses the java.io "emulating" classes).
I'm a little confused. When someone mentioned J#, I thought: Ok, I'll go with that one, its got autocomplete? Great! But I tried it, tried copy/pasting simple code that I wrote using the gamedev.net basic Java tutorials, and -of course - that doesn't work. So either I start again with new tutorials for J# or I go with another one. I'd like an IDE that allows me to recompile/try things really quickly, but more importantly: Intellisense! Intellisense would be so great!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement