How do I compile C# in "Release" mode?

Started by
10 comments, last by Sko44 18 years, 4 months ago
Although it may sound funny, I can't find the "Active Build" configuration anywhere. Yet there is a 'debug' and 'release' folder in my project directory... How do I compile a VS8 C# project in release mode? [rolleyes]
Advertisement
You can either use the drop down next to the Debug | Start toolbar button (the play arrow) to set the active configuration from Debug to Release or you can go to the properties of the solution (right click the solution and select properties) and under the configuration properties portion of the tree on the left hand side you can click on that to display the configuration pange. From here you can set the active configuration through a drop down.

Magius
The play arrow field is grayed out, I cannot change it.

The solutions page has no configuration for setting the active build.

Perhaps I have to click the "Register" thing, I'll do that right now and see if it makes a different.
Are you using the express edition?
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Are you using the express edition?

Yes.

btw.. registering it didn't unlock the 'Configuration Manager'. =(
Sorry about that, I assumed the full version. Does the properties dialog (generally below the solution explorer) show the Active config entry when you click on the solution?

Magius
Quote:Original post by Magius
Sorry about that, I assumed the full version. Does the properties dialog (generally below the solution explorer) show the Active config entry when you click on the solution?

Magius

No, it doesnt. =/
I don't have the express edition, so it's tough to say, but the documentation here says that the Build property page of the project properties should have what you are looking for.

Magius
Quote:Original post by Magius
I don't have the express edition, so it's tough to say, but the documentation here says that the Build property page of the project properties should have what you are looking for.

Magius

There is no mention of "release" mode in that link. Inaddition, I've throughly checked out the region its referring to. =/
You have to enable it.

1. Go Tools-> Options.
2. Push the Show all Settings checkbox in lower left corner.
3. Select Projects & Solutions.
4. Make sure "Show advanced Build Configurations" is checked.

And thats it, for me at least in C# Express.

I hope it helps

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement