Enable Enhanced Instruction Set in Visual Studios

Started by
7 comments, last by darookie 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm trying to figure out how to enable SSE optimizations in my program. I thought I saw an option under Code Generation in project settings once, but I don't see it anymore. I've also tried /arch:SSE, but output tells me it's an unknown option. Anyone know? Thanks
Advertisement
Which compiler are you using?
If you are using the full version of Visual Studio 8, you can go to the properties dialog of the project. Under the Configuration Properties tree element, go to C/C++, then Code Generation. There is a property in there called Enable Enhanced Instruction Set, that should be what you are looking for.

Magius
I'm using vc 7
Unfortunately I don't believe VC++ 2002(7.0) supports /arch. I don't have a copy of '02 so I don't know specifically though.

Both 2003 (7.1) and 2005 (8.0) fully support /arch
Aww man, really? Dang-it. I must've seen that option at my work computer then.

I have some old SSE code I wrote once to speed up my program. I'm getting back into maintaining it and wanted to see how it compared to what the compiler generates.

Thanks anyways.
Well, you can always download the free VS2005 express edition. That uses the same compiler that's in the standard/pro editions and fully supports /arch:* options.
Hmm, good call. Maybe I'll check that out.

Thanks
You can also replace the compiler with the free Microsoft toolkit compiler.
It supports /arch and you can find it here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement