Visual Basic.Net and MS Access database...

Started by
3 comments, last by jacksaccountongamedev 18 years, 4 months ago
Hello. I am writing an application that needs to read from and modify data stored in a Microsoft Access database using (preferably) Visual Basic.Net. This database exists locally in the application directory. I believe I should be able to access the database with reasonable ease, but unfortunately I just can’t seem to locate any information on exactly how to do that. Could someone perhaps point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance, Jackson Allan
Advertisement
I feel compeled to bump when only eight people have viewed this tread in the spanse of 24 hours.

Jackson Allan
What version of VB.Net are you using? Also are you doing win forms or asp.net?

There are lots of examples out there search google for "VB.NET access" (without the quotes of course)

Look into ADO .NET. It is a library built for the .NET technologies to easily allow you to interface with many different kinds of databases. Most decent VB .NET books will feature a chapter dedicated to using the ADO .NET SQL Server library classes which generally begin with SQL (ie: SqlConnection, SqlCommand, etc). To interface with an MS Access database you will instead use the OLE database classes which generally begin with OleDB (ie: OleDBConnection, OleDBCommand, etc). Try doing a search on google for using these keywords: ADO .NET, VB .NET, MS Access. You should be able to find some tutorials on code guru or a site like that. Hope this is not confusing, I've been awake for 24 hours now! :-(

- Bill

I'd personally Recommend the "WROX Beginning (C#/VB .NET) Databases" books if you can find them cheap. I was able to purchase my copy for $7.00 USD.
Thanks for the help. :D

Jackson Allan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement